Author
Topic: .  (Read 5655 times)
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:01:33 am »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:22:51 am by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:23 pm »

Can someone tell me why holders are so large for notes that have been graded?
Very simply put 75% note 25% Advertising ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
abyss
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:35:48 am »

Very simply put 75% note 25% Advertising

In a way that makes sense....Anytime you see a TPG note you see who graded it before you see the notes itself...
In someways that can be a good thing....or NOT!

ABYSS
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:24:24 pm »

Can someone tell me why holders are so large for notes that have been graded? Is it simply that the 1 size is just practical as most notes will fit?

I guess that when new TPG companies are established they naturally tend to use holders of the same size as those being used by the other companies. TPG holders could certainly be smaller than they are but it's probably too late to change now. The downside of TPG holders is that they use up huge amounts of space in display cases at shows and they're heavy to lug around in bulk.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:43:34 pm »

There's also the matter of "one size fits all" so that you can save costs by only manufacturing a single size of holder and it can accommodate anything from shinplasters to large-size Dominion and chartered notes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:36:34 pm »

There's also the matter of "one size fits all" so that you can save costs by only manufacturing a single size of holder and it can accommodate anything from shinplasters to large-size Dominion and chartered notes.

That's an idea I would support wholeheartedly. When you think about it in detail it's the logical way to go.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:40:29 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:56:17 am by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition

Login with username, password and session length