Author
Topic: What to buy out of the 2  (Read 6029 times)
b168
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:29:44 pm »

Well my budget only allows me one note this month.

An inverted back US note AU  or a 1937 AU BOC $50. note.

What would you take.    Thks.

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »

I would personally save up for another month and get a C.Unc and preferably G.Unc

Regards,
MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:42:58 pm »

I would personally save up for another month and get a C.Unc and preferably G.Unc

Regards,
MG

What a completely inappropriate response!  >:(

No hay banda  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »

What would you take.    Thks.

I would take the US error note.  Why?  Because I like error notes.  Simple as that!

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:05:20 pm »

What a completely inappropriate response!  >:(

You’re so angry all the time. Take a deep breath; besides hobbies should bring you joy.

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
b168
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:51:27 pm »

Regards,
MG

uh...  Gem inverted back notes too rich for my blood.  :P

It would look good in my album but ..  the rest of the pages are going to be pretty empty.   :D
Hoop130
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »

Hi B168,
I am also very new to the hobby.
I would go for the $50, only because I need a 50 & 100 also.
Good luck in your decision.
b168
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:12:46 pm »

The error note got the better of me.  I did have my eye on a $50. specimen. It was graded Gem and there was a nice fold/crease in the reverse. Good thing I went to the viewing otherwise I just might have bidded on it online.
Hoop130
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:51 pm »

Were you at the recent Torex show?
b168
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:28:22 pm »

Were you at the recent Torex show?

Yes I was at the Torex show. I couldn't stay for the auction and I wasn't able to get online in time to bid.
My game plan got thrown out the window when I saw a couple error notes I liked. 

Since I am on this topic and I didn't want to start another tread, anyone want to comment on the multi-colored specimen notes. There were about 500 sets sold off, correct me if I'm wrong. What would be more valued, this set or a specimen note like the 1954 $100 devil specimen note. I think liquidity wise, the muliti-colored set is easier to sell off later. Desire ability wise, the 1954, but maybe hard to sell off later because of value.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:01:41 pm by b168 »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »

My game plan got thrown out the window when I saw a couple error notes I liked.

The important thing is you got what you wanted/liked.  If you collect by what other people suggest then it is likely you will remain unsatisfied with your collection.

Perhaps it is time for you to weigh your reasons why you collect what you collect.  By the sounds of it you did well by getting the error note since it was a note you were interested in the first place.  In my books, if it were a lower denomination, then that would be a bonus.

When you first posted your query (which would you prefer error over $50?) I would have been inclined to support the error simply because I no longer collect notes above $20 in denomination.  It's been hard to do this (define my limits)  but I had to start focussing my collection on lower denominations for what I believe to be some sound rationalizations. 

Although I loved the designs of the higher denominations when I first started collecting, eventually my infatuation with them waned.   I lost interest in $50/100 notes when I saw so many posts by "newbies" (who were not interested in collecting paper money) showing off their deceased relatives' pristine higher denominations they inherited from their grandfather/mother's safety deposit boxes.  I realized if I were going to stash some cash away- I'd likely put in a higher denomination and found out how hard it was to sell them too (much different then what the book suggests).   I saw a similar trend on online auctions too.   

On the other hand, if I saw posts of scanned lower denominations they were typically from deceased relatives who were collectors, and if you think about it, a lower denomination is much more likely to experience wear and tear from over-circulation (than higher denominations).  Maybe this isn't so much the case now- but it surely must have been the case when $100 was really a lot of cash!   

There are some exceptions to this generalization, but the rule worked for me, and also I thought it seemed like an excess amount of money to put away for some higher denominations then for the lower ones.  Consider this- if they only print 100,000 of a particular high denomination & you happen to have one in high grade- what's the big deal if there were several that were hoarded or tucked away (usually in high grades)?  The note you have is still probably X% of the remaining notes.  On the other hand- if they printed 10,000,000 notes and you happen to have one that is an error- which you know happens to occur on very rare occasions, and you have one of them, I think that is much more desirable.  It would be like .000X% of the issued notes.  If they print a low quantity of replacement notes (for the rare errors just described) than that too would be interesting for me since they represent a tiny fraction of the notes intended for circulation.

If I had a choice between a more recent specimen note and a specimen note that was printed back in 1954, I would go for the older note, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. 

Again- though- you should pick up what interests you (the design?) or even in terms of what you can afford.  Start making some parameters of what you like/intend to collect and I suspect you will enjoy collecting a lot more.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:41:59 pm by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length