Author
Topic: 37 series note widths  (Read 3733 times)
nomunny
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:21:56 pm »

The width of the PRINTED portion of BABN 37 series bank notes are about 4mm wider than the CBN notes . Why weren't the plates all made to the same specs?

Also I notice 'trimming' of older notes is common, should all notes be the same dimensions(what are these, I don't see them in Charlton's CPGM catalog) and were misscuts not a problem back then. To what extent does trimming reduce a notes value, do you have trimmed notes in your collection ?

thanks
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:24:13 pm »

do you have trimmed notes in your collection ?
I sure hope not :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Bob
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:36:05 pm »

Variation in the size of the printed area does not necessarily imply that the plates were not uniform.  If the notes were printed wet, there was slight but variable shrinkage as they dried.  Dry printings are larger than wet printings for that reason.
Note trimming is a huge problem, and seems to be especially prevalent on the 1935 issue.  Personally, I consider a trimmed note to be grossly impaired.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:04:57 pm »

Rule of thumb: If a note looks trimmed, it is.  That's all you really need to know.

No hay banda  
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »

The width of the PRINTED portion of BABN 37 series bank notes are about 4mm wider than the CBN notes . Why weren't the plates all made to the same specs?

Also I notice 'trimming' of older notes is common, should all notes be the same dimensions(what are these, I don't see them in Charlton's CPGM catalog) and were misscuts not a problem back then. To what extent does trimming reduce a notes value, do you have trimmed notes in your collection ?

thanks

Going by page 214 of my 2010 (22nd edition) of Charlton's, 1935 AND 1937 notes should measure 6 inches x 2 7/8 inches.  This would be the measurement of the whole note (i.e. the printed area and the surrounding white border).

nomunny
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:11:25 pm »

Thanks Venga50 , I see that info now.

Login with username, password and session length