Author
Topic: Why doesn't the BoC do commemoratives anymore?  (Read 4875 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:19 pm »

Today I picked up $107 worth of 1s and 2s from my local bank in EF-UNC condition.  Included were 2 Centennial $1s.

It got me wondering why the Bank of Canada/government doesn't do commemorative notes.  IMHO, a significant milestone should be immortalized on PAPER rather than on a measley quarter or loonie or toonie.

We have missed 2 significant anniversaries in the last decade:  The Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002 (a perfect opportunity to do a special $50) and the Royal Canadian Navy Centennial this year.

The paper money of a country should be a canvas on which these significant events are recorded.  The government is missing out...and so are collectors!

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:29:28 pm »

I don't see why these would be required. Any notes primarily meant for collectors would be save in huge numbers and in mostly uncirculated condition. Collectors would simply be adding content without any value to their collecctions.
Unless they plan on releasing a VERY low quantity they would most likely see the same faith as the 1967 centennial double dated notes.

KC's Canadian Currency
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:59:13 pm »

I agree. Let the mint crank out all he crap for commemorative collectors. Who needs it?

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:40:48 pm »

I know that it would not add "value" to a collection per se, however the value of commemorative paper money as a means of expression is priceless...

Paper money is a form of art and it should be utilized to express what we as Canadians feel is important.

I don't really care if people hoard any commemorative notes, it's just that it would be nice to see it happen.

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:01:10 pm »

I think a commemorative note would do the hobby good. I'm sure it would be a starting point for many new collectors that would be looking to add to their collections.

Then maybe I could get rid of some of these 1967 notes.

Gary_T
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 02:34:49 pm »

as long as the anniversary is meaningful and that it is at a logical time interval (i.e.:  not like the 62nd anniversary of Israel coin that was issued this year)

Perhaps when/if the Queen turns 100, we will see a special c-note  :)

and hey, I will happily take the '67s off your hands...for face value?
I use 1s and 2s at school and the kids go nuts! 

Dean

moneycow
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:04 pm »

It would have to be ultra-signifgant otherwise it's a slippery slope.  If I'm the BOC I wouldn't want to cheapen my image by churning out an endless supply of "collectable" (see: Mint)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:09:31 pm »

I agree!  The event would have to be significant...

Let's see...There's the 50th anniversary of the Canadian flag in 2015...perhaps a special $50 then?

OR

the 100th anniversary of Vimy Ridge?

The possibilities are certainly there...we just need the political will to make it happen...maybe getting more collectors elected to Parliament or in the BoC would be a start !  ;)

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »

I think a commemorative note would do the hobby good. I'm sure it would be a starting point for many new collectors that would be looking to add to their collections.

Then maybe I could get rid of some of these 1967 notes.

Perhaps in 7 years when Canada turns 150 years old there will be a commemorative note, then you could pair your 1967 notes with the 2017 notes (if issued - and if so, I wonder if they would resurrect the $1 denomination just for the occasion or use the $5 note that is in vogue in 2017?).

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 09:09:38 pm »

It's more likely that Canadian Tire will issue a commemorative note before the BoC does :P

Login with username, password and session length