Author
Topic: Advice on buying 1954 Devil's Head $1000  (Read 3910 times)
davepl
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:08:01 pm »

I am searching for a pair of 1954 $1000 notes; one to display the front, the other the back.  So that translates into I want one Devil's head and one replacement portrait, really.

The prices I'm seeing look a little too hopefuly, though:  $6500 for UA on the Devil's Head and $2500 for UA on the replacement portrait.

These seem like "pre-recession" prices to me.  I have to imagine prices have dropped some in the last couple of years.  Can someone suggest what a good fair price would be?  And if you'd like to back it up by selling me such notes at good prices, let me know :-)

Thanks!
Dave
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »

Hi Dave

I just want to say that this is only my personal opinion.

The $1,000 devil’s face note is currently selling at its highest value. From my calculations I believe this note to be 30% over valued for it to simply be a “fair” price. I have come up with this by doing various calculations which all 23 Charlton books have been used. Had you wanted to buy this note in 1980 you would have paid 25% over its 1994 value. One other interesting trend I am noticing is that when prices start to drop from their highs you can often see notes sell and not regain their highs for 10-15 years and some haven’t even returned to their 1980 values.  Today’s market has its highs clearly in the rear view mirror.

If you have to have the note and can’t wait, know that you’re paying top dollars for it. If you’re patient I believe you might be well rewarded for it.

Regards,
MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:25:40 pm »

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Yes you are correct that the market has softened, but not on all notes.

The Devil’s face series still remains steady and strong in their pricing. For $6000-$6500 you should be able to find a EF $1000 note with some searching. The AU would be in the $8500 range, and the Unc at $13,500+.

You should be able to find a modified series $1000 in AU/Unc with the Lawson-Bouey signature (most common) for well under your budgeted price.

Hope this helps

Jared

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation

Login with username, password and session length