Author
Topic: Canadian stamp sells for more than a quarter of a million at New York auction  (Read 3619 times)
noon

it shows that even with the economic meltdownsee still rare notes coins and stamp
holds tha valu regardles of the market meltdown
the link for the full story
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091119/national/rare_stamps_auction
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100

it shows that even with the economic meltdownsee still rare notes coins and stamp
holds tha valu regardles of the market meltdown

According to the Canadian Business's 2009 list of the richest Canadians, the rich kept getting richer despite the economic downturn that has cost 400,000 Canadians their jobs in the past year.  Rare notes have been selling for large premiums to catalogue at recent Heritage, Spinks, Baldwins and other auctions.

As many of you know, I have started the long and slow process of liquidating my collection of Canadian bank notes.  I have focused most of my attention at selling the rarest notes from my collection, as I realize that these are in high demand regardless of economic conditions.  There are still a large number of collectors worldwide with very deep pockets looking for rare collectibles.

Within the past 3 weeks, I have sold three of my rarest notes privately for significant premiums to book:

1935 $500 English (original EF)                          sold for CAD $125,000

1925 $500 (VG/F)                                           sold for CAD $55,000

1954 $2 E/R Test Note (PMG Choice Fine15)        sold for CAD $8,000

This just reinforces the long held belief that your best investment is to buy high quality rare collectibles.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!

This just reinforces the long held belief that your best investment is to buy high quality rare collectibles

Must say I concur with that statement whole heartily.

Wonder what a CU to Gem Unc 1924 $5.00 would command in this market? ::)

noon

canada-banknotes   YOU DID VERY GOOD but 1 day will come and you will fell a bit
bad for selling them as a collector like me i come to sell some thing when its sold i aske
my self why did i sell them  ::)
the book is just a guid for the prices and rare notes coins stamps sells for more the book valu
(BUT THE BOOK DO NOT PAY YOU IF YOU WANT TO SELL HIM LOOOL)
regardles the market shape the demand is up this year for rare notes and ppl are selling cuz
of they need the money and work is slow but we can agree its a good time to buy good deals
are out there never seen low prices like this if the sellers hold there pants and not scared of
the market and no sales they will do better  ;D

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!

Punctuation please? Might make your point more understandable.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:17:28 am by alvin5454 »
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious

LOL alvin, so true.  Back when I was in school, we used upper case letters too, and they were not just for shouting  8)

Back to the discussion, I think that the most elite numismatic collectibles are NOT subject to market forces one way or another.  These items are too expensive for all but the wealthiest collectors who are looking for symbols of extravagance.  Nothin wrong with that, don't get me wrong.  Conversely, anything that can be afforded by lots of people will be subject to market forces when lots of people either have lots of money or no money.

Part of maturing as a collector means knowing how to "let go" of special items.  I don't mean how to go about selling these items, I mean how to deal with the emotional side of parting with something that has meaning to oneself.  Those expensive notes tend to be the more memorable ones, so it's only natural that we hold onto pricey pieces for longer.

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length