Author
Topic: 1912 $5 (Question?)  (Read 3840 times)
KelownaGuy
« on: May 03, 2008, 01:33:13 am »

I'm a little confused by one of my bills and hopefully someone can set me straight. It's a 1912 $5 train note, serial #B993902 and is signed by Hyndman and Saunders. It has only the blue seal on the right side followed by B-1 and has the word "Countersigned" above the Hyndman signature on the left. In the Charlton Guide (2007 Edition) I believe the note to be Catalogue Number DC-21f.

Here is my confusion. Based on my assumption of the catalogue number DC-21f, I did a search of the Heritage Auction site for another example of a DC-21f. I checked all of the notes that were shown and none of them had the word "Countersigned" above the Hyndman signature. Based on all these images I'm now unsure of the Catalogue Number for my bill.

See link to example from Heritage Auction site:
http://currency.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=406&Lot_No=16679&src=pr

Can someone confirm the catalogue number and if possible post a scan of a DC-21f and a DC-21g? Where on the note does in indicate the series?

Lastly value? I'd guess the note is VF or so but I'm not all that experienced at grading.

Thanks

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 02:28:55 am »

I believe the 5s were printed with and without in that signature series for a short while. Refer to page 172 in the 20th edition Charlton. I would say that yours is the f series. Maybe the ones shown were catalogued wrong?

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:43:37 am »

The existence of the rare "COUNTERSIGNED" variety (Charlton DC-21f) was first reported in an article published in the March 2006 issue of the CPM Newsletter (pages 15-16). The discovery note illustrated in that article carried sheet # B956145 (Plate D).

{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/CPMS-$5-1912.jpg}
{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/CPMS-$5-1912b.jpg}
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:48:12 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Bob
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 10:28:05 am »

The numbering in the catalogue was changed to accommodate the variety reported in the CPMS Newsletter, beginning with the 19th edition.  PMG identified a DC-21g as DC-21f either because they were using an older catalogue, or, more likely, the note was slabbed before the numbering change occurred.
I agree that your note should be DC-21f.
The note shown in the Heritage link is DC-21g; their description is incorrect.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
KelownaGuy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 12:25:24 am »

Here is an image of the my note. Any comments on grade and value?

Thanks

Rod

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 08:45:41 pm »

Here is an image of the my note. Any comments on grade and value?

It's always difficult to price a distinct variety that has not previously been sold at public auction. Any opinions would therefore be speculative although the prices in the Charlton catalogue are usually pretty accurate in my experience. In addition, it always helps to compare the numbers of notes printed of the different varieties (see page 173 in the current catalogue). Similar numbers of DC-21f and DC-21e were printed so one would expect similar catalogue values. In all likelihood there are many other DC-21f notes in collections that have not yet been recognized for what they are. 

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length