Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 68988 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2024, 10:42:37 pm »

January 26th finds:

Paper money and coins…lots of coins.

I went to one of my banks today and they had three bags of pennies for me and some paper bills.
Nothing really special, but I accepted it gratefully.  While I was there, I asked for customer rolls of dimes.  The teller obliged with $165 worth of coins.

Out of the dimes, I managed to find:
Three full rolls of pre-2000 dimes.
Three 2017 commemoratives
One colour Bluenose under sail.
One UK 5 pence dated 1996
And one damaged 80% silver dime dated 1966.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #511 on: January 27, 2024, 04:52:39 pm »

January 27th finds:

Paper $10s and more coin rolls.

I received five journey $10s from the bank today.  Along with these notes, I asked for customer wrapped coins.  The teller obliged with $88 in dimes and nickels.

The nickel rolls were pretty forgettable, except that there were two entire rolls of pre-2000 dated coins in the bundle with the oldest nickel being from 1964.

These coin rolls were probably a collection dump or piggy bank dump because it is highly unlikely to see entire rolls of cupronickel or nickel alloy coins.

From the dime rolls, I was pleased to extract $3.70 in US dimes, $14 worth of pre-2000 Canadian dimes, one 2017 commemorative and one Jamaican dollar dated 2012.

There was no silver in this batch of coins, but it was still cool to find five King Charles dimes dated 2023.  This marks the first time that I have found King Charles coins “in the wild”.

I am going to search through one of the penny bags I brought home yesterday…Stay tuned!

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 04:57:10 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #512 on: January 27, 2024, 11:09:20 pm »

January 27th:
Penny bag hunt results.

This penny bag was rather unremarkable. Aside from a handful of laureate portrait Elizabeth coins from 1960-64, there was one penny from the Bahamas dated 2004, seven 1967 centennial cents, and one 2009 US Lincoln cent.

There was a total of $2.82 in US pennies, and half a sandwich bag of pre-1982 Canadian copper.

Sadly, there was not one King George VI penny in this bag, but there was one US wheat penny dated 1948s.

The coins in this bag may have been picked over and these were the leftovers that were deposited.

Ah well, that’s coin hunting for you…

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 11:13:43 pm by Dean »

whitenite
« Reply #513 on: January 28, 2024, 08:40:20 pm »

Happy Belated New Year!!
To add to Dean's impressive finds, I was lucky enough to find paper banknotes in the Ottawa Valley over the Christmas Holidays.  Not the kind of hauls you usually see from Dean but I try my best.  I did find one replacement Journey banknote (EJE 1997856) in decent shape (EF/AU) and number of EJZ's as well.  More interesting is that EJZ 2097856 is so close in numerical order with the replacement note of EJE.  What are the odds of that?  I also got a stack of Journey $10 banknotes in a variety of conditions.  It is so nice to get actual paper bills and the AU notes are so much nicer to handle than the worn out polymer notes that the Bank of Canada does not want to replace.  Just like Dean, I will include pictures of some coins that the bank has given me as well as the Black twoonies and one King Charles quarter.  If anyone is interested in these notes please send me a PM.  Enjoy the pictures and don't shovel too much snow this winter.  Best regards, Whitenite.

whitenite
« Reply #514 on: January 28, 2024, 08:42:06 pm »

Oops, I forgot an image.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #515 on: January 29, 2024, 03:57:47 pm »

January 29th finds:

Main Branch Madness!

I went to the main branch today and the Head Teller let me look through the mutilated banknotes. I was lucky that I went today, because she said that she was going to ship everything out tomorrow!

I looked through and picked out the following notes:

Three birds $20s, including two AIX replacement notes with serifs.. Of course, the replacement notes had to be ripped and/or torn. 😕 but I took them anyway because they were replacements!

An assortment of circulated journey and birds $5s and $10s; nothing really special here.

Two consecutive birds $100s.

And…a birds $50 Insert replacement note, FHZ 9793454.

The teller obliged my request for coins by giving me 11 rolls of pennies.  😀

Since I was downtown, I decided to visit another branch.  This second branch had no paper money for me but the teller did give me $17 in old nickel dollars and 50c pieces.

All in all, a very good day!

Enjoy!

Dean.

PS:  Did I mention that I’m selling penny rolls?  Check out my ad in the trading post…

« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 02:44:34 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #516 on: February 01, 2024, 06:06:01 pm »

February 1st finds:

A new month brings more paper money…and tons of pennies.

I stopped at one of my banks today and the teller offered up a bunch of birds $50 notes and one raggedy old $1 note.

She also gave me $70.50 worth of penny rolls.

I decided to ask if they had any customer wrapped rolls of dimes, and the teller gave me an entire box!

We shall see what the box contains…

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 06:11:34 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #517 on: February 02, 2024, 07:58:53 pm »

February 2nd finds:  Groundhog day…for banknotes and coins.

I stopped at two banks on my way home today.  The first bank gave me five birds $50s and a couple of $20s.

At the second bank, thee teller let me look through $20,000 in hundred dollar notes.  They were a mix of multicolour, lots of birds and a few journey notes, interestingly, there were only a couple of torn polymer $100s in the stack.  The other denominations in the mutilated pile contained almost no paper notes but lots of ripped, torn and burnt polymer notes.

From the $100s, I took four 1975 $100 notes.  One of them was an AJX replacement note!
These notes probably came from the same elderly person because many of the $100s in the stack had wobbly cursive numbers written on them as if the person was tallying up piles of bank notes.  More on this in my other thread.

The teller at the second bank also offered me pennies.  She said that she had 4 whole boxes so I took one.  (I am currently swamped with penny rolls!)

The pennies came in what looked to be a brand new cardboard penny box.  I haven’t seen these in some time because pennies have been out of circulation for so long.  I asked the teller how she got the cardboard penny box and she said “We just order them.”

So, it is possible for banks to order cardboard boxes for penny rolls, even after all this time without pennies in circulation.

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #518 on: February 03, 2024, 04:58:11 pm »

February 3rd Dime box search results:

I finally got around to searching through the box of dimes I got from the bank a few days ago and it did not disappoint!

The box contained:

$19.40 in pre-2000 dimes.
Eight 2017 commemoratives.
Seven Bluenose under sail—only two of which were colourized.
And only $1.70 worth of US dimes which is unusually low for a customer wrapped box.

Foreign finds include:
One 10c piece from Singapore, dated 2016
1/2 franc from Switzerland dated 1989
A five pence coin from the UK dated 1990

Best of all, there were two silver Canadian dimes, dated 1961 and 1965!

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:34:47 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #519 on: February 04, 2024, 03:24:14 pm »

February 4th penny box hunt results:

I was blown away by what I found in this penny box…
It was 100% copper coin all before 1996 with the bulk of coins from the 1970s and early 80s.

I pulled a heap of beautifully lustrous coins dated between 1975-1981.
There was also a pile of nice lusterous coins dated between 1983-1985.

Rounding out the box were some US pennies, a couple of King George VI pennies, some laureate portrait Queen Elizabeth pennies, two really nice lustrous coins from 1965 and 1964. And best of all, a blank planchet!

You just never know what’s hiding in these rolls…

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:33:50 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #520 on: February 05, 2024, 09:34:35 pm »

February 5th finds:
More pennies!

I went back to the branch that gave me the box of pennies last Friday to pick up the remaining three boxes.  When I got them home, I immediately noticed some brilliantly lustrous coins on the top of some of the rolls…the three boxes of coins was incredibly heavy, which is a good sign of lots of copper being hidden within!

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #521 on: February 06, 2024, 07:24:32 pm »

February 6th finds:

Birds, birds, birds…

I stopped at one of my banks on the way home today.  The teller joked that she knew that I would walk through the door because she had just accepted $5000 of old money from a customer who brought them in after he “went through his dad’s stuff”.

I am seeing more and more of these “estate accumulation clean outs” from multiple banks.

I looked through all of the notes-all birds series.

They all appeared to have been folder or rolled but there were still a handful of nicer notes.  The majority of the notes were VG-F condition and I think they were rolled up and kept in a sock or under the mattress.  🤣

There were three consecutive ESJ series $20s, and I took one AIA and EIA prefix note along with three $10s.

Most of these notes are nothing special, but…

The highlight of this load was a low numbered $50 FHM 0000581

I also asked for customer wrapped coins but the teller only had three rolls of dimes which she happily gave to me.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 07:26:40 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #522 on: February 06, 2024, 08:43:32 pm »

February 6th dime roll update:

I searched through the three rolls of dimes I got today.

I found:

Nine pre-2000 Canadian dimes.
One 2017 commemorative
One UK five pence coin dated 2014

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #523 on: February 07, 2024, 07:51:14 pm »

February 7th finds:

I stopped by one of my banks and withdrew some regular polymer cash.  Out pops this $20 with a partial teller stamp.  It reads:

03611-004

A search reveals that the transit number belongs to:

The Toronto Dominion Bank
St. Laurent Place Vertu
3131 boul. De la Cote-Vertu
Saint-Laurent, Qc.
H4R 1Y8

While I was there, I asked for paper money and coins.  While they had no paper, the teller was able to sell me a box of customer wrapped dimes.  Interestingly, this box was last sealed on Aug. 11 2022 and it is unlike any other dime box I have seen before.  It is rather plain and marked only with “$250x10c” on each side of the box.

When I opened the box, I was pleased to see that most of the rolls were clear plastic and I can see many US dimes already…

Maybe there’s also silver in the box…

Stay tuned!

Dean

whitenite
« Reply #524 on: February 08, 2024, 08:37:13 pm »

This past weekend I got some banknotes through my searches of bundles from banks in the Ottawa valley.  In a bundle of tens, I found 4 CDF banknotes which is harder and harder to find.  I also found two HCM $5 banknotes with signatures on either side of the changeover.  The changeover number is 5822999 and 5823000, what are the odds of finding two banknotes with serial number so close to the changeover.  I also found 3 1979 $20 banknotes and a number of other Bird and Journey banknotes.  A Journey $20 with serial number ELP was just outside the replacement range but I am hoping that someone can confirm if the serial number 9997059 could be a replacement note.

I also found a number of EJA $100 banknotes in AU to UNC conditions as well.  Anyways, enjoy the pictures and keep on hunting for interesting banknotes.

Best regards, Whitenite

Login with username, password and session length