Author
Topic: Viewing more than 10 of the most recent posts  (Read 6018 times)
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 10, 2005, 11:31:41 pm »

This one is for the administrators...

Will you be restoring the ability to search the forum for more than the 10 most recent posts?  We used to be able to see the last 50 at the following link:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=recentpostlist;display=50

With the old version of the board, I found that if you went to the Address bar and added an extra 0 to the "display=50" part, you could even see the last 500 posts.

It would be handy to be able to see more than the last 10 posts...if there are more than 10 posts in a given day, how would you see the others?

I realize there will be growing pains with the upgrade to YABB2, so I will of course be waiting patiently whilst the wrinkles are being ironed out. :)

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 08:43:06 am »

This is one of my own major points of interest. I liked the layout of the former page, and the flexibility, but I wanted a little more, a brief excerpt from each post. Paul already knows about this and is working on finding a suitable replacement feature.

On another note though, Paul has just within the last 24 hours actually upgraded (again, yes!) to YaBB 2.1. This release includes many bug fixes, security updates, etc over v2.0. Not many new functionalities though, but still an important update. I again applaud Paul on his recent accomplishment!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 08:46:39 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 02:18:49 pm »

I agree, the new board has many great improvements, but the "recent post" function is a definate step backwards. The new 2.1 version did not address it much.

I've got requests in, but with about 45,000 sites using the same software, I don't know when we might see a fix for it.  :o
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 02:01:31 pm »

One "workaround" is to review all of the posts on the board to your heart's content, and then just before you leave, click on the "Mark as Read" icon at the bottom of the main page.  Then the next time you log on, only the messages that were posted since you last logged on will have a "new" icon appended.

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 08:39:22 pm »

With today having been such a busy one on the Forum, I am reminded of the question I asked last November.  Are we any closer to being able to see more than the last 10 posts?  I can't help but wonder if I am missing some good stuff.  :-/

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 08:48:20 pm »

Hey, never mind!  I have just answered my own question!

You can see practically as many posts as you want by typing the following in the address bar:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=recent;display=[size=14]X[/size]

(where [size=14]X[/size] is the number of posts you want to see - I got it to work up to the last 1,000 posts!).

Cheers,
venga50.

Addendum: now that I CAN see more than 10 posts at a time, I have just found that Brent also passed on this trick on May 7 in his following post:
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1146987078

By all means delete my post if it is redundant.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:14:53 pm by venga50 »

Login with username, password and session length