Author
Topic: Journey replacements???  (Read 4589 times)
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: January 17, 2006, 01:28:59 am »

How does one identify Journey note replacements? Particularly $10,$20,$50 denominations. Thanx for putting up with me !
Also, how high or low of a serial number is worth holding on too of a new prefix.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:13:14 am by doug62 »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 03:01:40 pm »

Hello!  
I was going to link up past threads to answer this question, but there are so many.  Browse through the past topics of this section and you will see many links that deal with your exact question, and explore much further.  It makes for a very interesting read, and it is good because informational posts are between questioning posts of other members.

The main fact is that there are notes that are replacing regular notes.  There are many individuals who go through tons of bricks of notes compiling information.  And because notes are printed in sheets, brick information goes beyond the immediate brick searched.  And unless you know your numbers off by heart, you will not find them in circulation.

Please please read the posts- there is alot of info from many different people and many questions from others that share the same questions that you may have.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!  :)
Hudson
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 03:02:16 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:03:01 am »

Hi Hudson,
Spent a few hours going through the different threads on this topic. My thoughts on this now...most notes that various posters have found in bricks are probably inserts. As of this date it looks to me like the BOC has the replacement collectors snookered. Without some physical identifier on the claimed inserts, I just can't see them holding a collectors premium. Some of you eagle eyes could look for one. With advanced technology, I'm thinking the BOC wants to make it so your average bank employee cannot thumb through a brick and spot them. Who knows !!   :)
Collector-in-BC
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:26:02 am »

Doug, you may want to pickup the latest (18th) edition of Charlton's "Canadian Government Paper Money" Catalogue. In it, amongst other things, are all the known (as of Spring 2005) prefixes and serial # ranges of the Journey insert notes.

Wanted: Unc 1954 Beattie-Rasminsky *B/D $10
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:43:46 am »

Doug,

Your thoughts have been echoed by many for the last 6 or 7 years. The security square on the back of notes and IR sensitive ink were discovered in the search for a replacement identifier. Even a thorough search of FEP, confirmed by the BoC, resulted in nothing new being found.

There is a group of dedicated people working behind the scenes to identify replacements and establish ranges. The system may not be perfect but we do the best we can. In a perfect world the BoC would publish all the info we require but that not reality.

Our hope is that someone will discover an identifier or the BoC ends the use of replacements altogether. Mixed bricks, of late, may be an atempt in that direction. We will continue to search, confirm and inform.

Acceptance of modern replacements is up to the indiividual collector.

Gary
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:42:06 am »

Hi Doug

I am one of those bank employees that first noticed them in the Fives 3 years ago but did not know a thing about replacement notes at the time.  I knew they existed, with the asterisk notes and the X notes, but did not know how they got into the notes.  Did they come as full bundles?  Did they come inserted with others?  As I started to order bricks for myself, I found (as the other brick researchers have found) that instead of where the replacement notes of old were found, now there were notes that were out of sequence from the rest.  

These notes are still in fact replacement notes.  And the fact is, the replacement numbers that are reported are not just some dodgy speculations based on what one person found in a mixed bundle that he/she got from the bank. (I am not suggesting that anyone is asserting this).  They are carefully compiled from regions accross the country, and the informatin has to be vaildated by more that a couple of searchers in order for it to be declared.

For example (numbers and ranges totally "made up" here),
Brick searcher Mr. X in Vancouver finds this:
HOM1234000
HOL9591988 -replacement
HOL9591989 -replacement
HOL9591990 -replacement
HOM1234222 - QCIN
HOM1234001 etc... FP 12 BP 31

Brick searcher Mr. Y in Edmonton finds this:
HOM1229000
HOL9586988-replacement
HOL9586989-replacement
HOL9586990-replacement
HOM1229222 - QCIN
HOM1229001 etc... FP 15 BP 11

Brick searcher Mr. Z in Halifax finds this:
HOM1224000
HOL9581988-replacement
HOL9581989-replacement
HOL9581990-replacement
HOM1224222- QCIN
HOM1224001 etc... FP 32 BP 45

And then more collectors out there validate the finds through bricks, and then number ranges get established.  Sudzee is correct though, it is up to the collector.  For example, my dad does not give a darn about radars, and I do.  I care about Rotators, and many collectors do not hold much premium to them (although I have noticed the prices of them rising dramatically on ebay in the recent months).  

Just like anything, it is up to the collector.  However, one cannot deny they exist, especially with the Bank of Canada themselves calling a spade a spade (and a replacement a replacement) in that letter to one of our members.

And just as any sub series can make for a goal of collecting (radars for example, asterisk notes, or multi digit notes: 6677777, or even one of each prefix), so too have the Journey replacement notes from what I have found from dealing with many people.  They are another sub collection of notes!  The exciting thing is that is IS so difficult to find them in UNC shape.  But I guess, that goes the same for any note, unless you are buying bricks right from the bank.  (And even then, you could go for brick after brick after brick after brick AFTER BRICK and still find no Replacements).

Anyway, glad you had a read about it, and of course the decision is always in the hands of the collector.  I personally collect what makes me happy. (Yes radars of course) ;)

Regards,
Hudson

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 12:43:23 am by hudsonab »

doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 01:13:35 am »

Hudson,
Of course to each collector his/her own I agree, alas I do not foresee a premium placed on these notes by the average collector without  an identifier. I imagine the only ones happy with this situation are Charltons  ;)   One could buy an insert based on Charltons than have them recant on the insert range later on.

History has shown there to be an identifier. It just hasn't been uncovered YET !!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 03:14:50 pm »

Hehe.  I hear what your saying, it is just worth saying once again that no range gets put in there unless it hase been verified directly from bricks by numerous sources of serious collectors.  We haven't found an identifier as of yet though!  Aaah!

Login with username, password and session length