Author
Topic: Copied Notes  (Read 3219 times)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:14:20 pm »

Has anyone notice lately a few sellers bringing scanned copies of really rare notes on the market? I have seen a few of these; they are advertised as fakes and only printed on one side with the reverse being blank. I purchased one to see how they looked up close and possibly frame one. As I paid very little for it I could frame it without being worried of damage or fading. To my surprise the note came in the male much smaller than the actual size. The colors and details were quite impressive but I no longer think it’s worth framing.

KC's Canadian Currency
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:33:25 pm »

Are you referring to the reprints that ABN put out in the 1980's
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:24:34 pm »

Yes some are the ABN notes while others are not.

I first noticed these on eBay and since then have come across a few others. One seller claims to produce these himself and has a store dedicated to this which contains some Canadian and US notes.

KC's Canadian Currency
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:42:52 pm »

There is no mistaking a reprint from an original proof.  Look at the plates these are printed from and you will see to use these plates, they need to be polished and re-engraved, a costly exercise. I do not think the ABN made any money or recovered their costs on the reprints they made in the 1980's.  I also understand the ABN used inks they made themselves that are not available elsewhere so again originals are hard to reproduce. 

Login with username, password and session length