Author
Topic: 1935 $500 French proof  (Read 3336 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »

Hi,

I have both face and back proofs of the 1935 $500 bill French issue.  Are they more valuable than the English ones?  If I were to sell them today, what can I expect to realize?  I have owned these items for a few years but admittedly, I have been out of the loop for awhile. 

I was told when I purchased them that I had made a huge mistake. 

Thanks,
Dean

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:11:39 pm »

Watch lots 696 and 697 of the upcoming Torex auction. Those are the front and back proofs of the English $500. If they sell, that should give you a good idea for yours.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:11:08 pm »

Hi,

I have both face and back proofs of the 1935 $500 bill French issue.  Are they more valuable than the English ones?  If I were to sell them today, what can I expect to realize?  I have owned these items for a few years but admittedly, I have been out of the loop for awhile. 

I was told when I purchased them that I had made a huge mistake. 

Thanks,
Dean
Good question, both the english and french appear to be worth about the same. Was your purchase a mistake, well i would say no. Though the proofs are no where near as rare as the actual 1935 series $500, they are still the closest i think anyone would get to owning an actual $500 note.
If i recall, i had seen a 1935 $500 French both face and back proof up for sale at Nuphilex back in 2009 i believe they were going for about $5,000 for the set.

Login with username, password and session length