Author
Topic: eBay Fraud Warning - 1954 $20 *V/E 0593882  (Read 21997 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« on: November 24, 2007, 12:27:33 pm »

*** WARNING ***

Please take note that a fraudulent 1954 $20 *V/E 0593882 replacement is being offered on eBay.

See:   http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270190567410

First clue that this note is fraudulent is the fact that it falls outside the current known range of 0160000 - 0239999.

I did not base my conclusion just on this fact, as there have been other unexpected replacement note finds
recently that fall outside known ranges.  The real evidence lies in the fact that the same eBay member bought
a grouping of 1954 notes on eBay on October 30th that included the same serial numbered $20 note without
the asterisk.

See:   http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120175460674

I have also used forensic software in my lab to enhance the eBay image of the note and it is obvious that the
asterisk has been added after the fact in an effort to defraud an unsuspecting buyer.

"Buyer Beware"

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:36:48 pm »

Wow Way to go Arthur!  I was watching this one and would never have noticed the number range. They have changed the opening min. bid from $49.99 to $500.00 too.

What can be done about this? Can it be stopped?

I will be more careful about fake asterisks from now on. Thanks Arthur

Gary_T
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 01:04:56 pm »

I would suggest that all CPMF members, that have an eBay account, file a complaint with eBay's Tust and
Safety Team.  If you provide details from my previous post including eBay items numbers, I am sure that eBay
will pull the listing.  If you add the fact that it is an obvious attempt to defraud a buyer based on the difference
in market price between a V/E and *V/E note, then the eBay member may also be suspended.  The more
complaints they receive the more chance they will act quickly and harshly.

You can file a complaint at the following link:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/contact_us/_base/index.html

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Northwest5
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 01:15:49 pm »

Great work Aurthur, I was outbid on a *1 1954 note a few weeks ago, which may be a good thing.  I will send in a complaint to Ebay.  Thank You.  Murray.
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:53:52 pm »

Ditto Arthur, very nice find.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 02:27:33 pm »

I would have never spotted that one Arthur...They are selling the same $100 note that was purchased as that part of that lot as well...but no asterisk on it ....YET

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
50monarch
  • Every note gets me one step closer to Cayman
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 03:58:57 pm »

Nice catch Arthur.  The banknote does look authentic from the picture and I suspect not many people would have picked up on the serial number being outside the range.

I'm not sure if anyone reported this to eBay.  I did, however the way eBay is set up, you can only report the Item Number...you can't send comments.   

Anyway we'll see what happens...the email says that they will review the request within 24 hours.
kforse
  • CPMS Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 04:46:02 pm »

Arthur,

I have also sent an email to Ebay but unfortunately the main mail in response removes all your message information and only leaves the two item numbers in question.

I have asked that they respond back to me concerning this issue as well.

Thanks for keeping the world honest.

Life is to short not to have fun
hanmer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 04:52:04 pm »

I too have a lab, mine is secret though. The stars are good from far, but far from good. Hope it gets pulled. If not then I hope no one bids on it, or they at least use Pay Pal to pay. I too sent an email to E Bay as well.

I love this place.

:)

:)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 04:59:02 pm »

I sent an email to the eBay seller requesting a high quality scan of the front and back of this note.  The
seller is located in Quebec and I thought I would request this information using my limited grasp of the
French language.  Unfortunately this resulted in the seller responding totally in French.

Can I ask that one of our French speaking members provide a translation for those of us that can't
understand the reply provided below from the seller:

"Oui avec plaisir mais je n'ai parcontre plus les photos scanner dans l'ordi car je les scan chez une amie et
lorsque je les met en vente je les garde pas. Je comprend pas c'est que j'ai payer pour que les gens vois
des sagrandi et qu'elles reste normal. Mais je vais photographier avec mon kodak. Puis-je vous demander
combien il serait évalué ? car je me fit au connaisseur moi je ne connais rien même ici j,achète lorsque je
vous plusieur encherreur sur le meme projet c,est la seule facon je sais qu'il vaut quelque chose . Vous
semblez en être un... déjà quelqu'un voulais me l'acheter a 500,00 si j,arêtais l'enchere c'est le pourquoi
j'ai commencer l'enchere a 500,00 mais il n'a pas voulue me dire combien il valait... merci de me le dire.
Joanne"

Arthur Richards
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 05:03:11 pm »

Columbo strike again  ;D

8) Patrick 8)

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 05:09:38 pm »

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Yes with pleasure but I do not have parcontre any more the photographs scanner in the ordi because I them scan in a friend and when I puts them on sale I do not keep them. I it does not include/understand is that I have to pay so that people see sagrandi and that they remains normal. But I will photograph with my Kodak. Can I ask you how much it would be evaluated? because I to the expert me I do not know anything even here J was done, buys when I you plusior encherror on the same project C, is the only way I know that it is worth something. You seem to be one... already somebody wanted for it to buy it to me has 500,00 if J, arêtais the bidding it is it why I have to begin the bidding has 500,00 but he did not mean to me how much he was worth... thank you for me the statement. Joanne "
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 05:11:35 pm »

Okay....now if someone can translate the translation we will be set  ???

Arthur Richards
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 05:14:18 pm »

I sent an email to the eBay seller requesting a high quality scan of the front and back of this note.  The
seller is located in Quebec and I thought I would request this information using my limited grasp of the
French language.  Unfortunately this resulted in the seller responding totally in French.

Can I ask that one of our French speaking members provide a translation for those of us that can't
understand the reply provided below from the seller:

"Oui avec plaisir mais je n'ai parcontre plus les photos scanner dans l'ordi car je les scan chez une amie et
lorsque je les met en vente je les garde pas. Je comprend pas c'est que j'ai payer pour que les gens vois
des sagrandi et qu'elles reste normal. Mais je vais photographier avec mon kodak. Puis-je vous demander
combien il serait évalué ? car je me fit au connaisseur moi je ne connais rien même ici j,achète lorsque je
vous plusieur encherreur sur le meme projet c,est la seule facon je sais qu'il vaut quelque chose . Vous
semblez en être un... déjà quelqu'un voulais me l'acheter a 500,00 si j,arêtais l'enchere c'est le pourquoi
j'ai commencer l'enchere a 500,00 mais il n'a pas voulue me dire combien il valait... merci de me le dire.
Joanne"

Goes something like this :

Yes with pleasure but I dont have any more photo in my computer because I scan them at a friend house and when I put them to sell I didnt keep it. I don't understand because I paid to see picture that can expand on ebay but I will take picture with my kodak. Can I ask you how much it is evaluate ? because if I relied on expert me I dont know anything, I know what a Note worth when I see all buyer bid on my item, you seem to be one to bidding on it... somebody wanted to buy from me at 500$ if I stop the auction. It is why I started the auction at 500$ but he didnt want to tell me how much the note worth... thank for letting me know...
Joanne
======================

When let me tell you... strange french writing heheh and I try to translate for you the best as Ican  ;D I'm not perfect billingual.

8) Patrick 8)

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 05:20:31 pm »

This is funny because I sent the seller 2 emails 1 regarding the asterisk note and another regarding the $100 note. The answer I got for the asterisk was also totally in French
"Je comprend pas ce que vous voulez dire . Vous trouver qu'il ressemble a un même astérisk que le votre ?

- mollyannejo"
but the one about the other note in English (I think?)

No holes, no creases not writing. I made an announcement with a photo enlarged for the rest you must see not?

-
mollyannejo

Yet the original Seller described the $100 note like this
$100.00=AU CENTRE FOLD AND COUNTING CREASES

can I get a translation please
THX FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 05:26:53 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length