Author
Topic: Very Nice Note ;) 1882 Dominion of canada $4  (Read 5070 times)
mclayton1190
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:00:21 am »

Hi again Gang
A good friend of mine stopped in to see me at work the other day and showed me a bill that he received from an estate that he is dealing with. i was floored when i seen it. He has had it appraised and the Note is worth $2600. And apparently there are only 113 still known, this makes 114.... if i had the cash i would have offered it to him, the unfortunate part is that its a part of an estate and he has to go through an auction, i believe. ;( Any advise or insight from you that i could pass along to him would be great. Him nor I are really sure on how to handle this.

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:09:31 pm »

This is a very nice note! I think it would sell for about $5,000

Looks like the condition is fine-very fine and more than half of the notes known are in very good or lower grade. The portrait is very clear with no folds and the counter signature on the left is very clear showing that it has not been washed. A very nice note with good eye appeal.

Is the bottom corner folded over or is it missing?

Do you have a picture of the back?

I think you would get the most money for this note from a major auction like the Heritage FUN auction in Florida in Feb.

Gary_T
mclayton1190
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:55:02 pm »

Right On, Thanks Gary. Now when you say heritage, do you mean the same Auction Company as the online auction house "Heritage Auctions". Or HA.com. I mentioned that to him, and printed off a sheet of the website for him as well. Maybe he should have Someone from there take a look at it?
Thanks again.
mclayton1190
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:00:23 pm »

Im not sure about the corner, i believe its missing.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:54:08 pm »

Yes that is the same HA.com.  The FUN auction is one of their larger auctions. It would probably be a good idea to get it third party graded as well. I would think PMG grading would be best if selling in the states.

Hope this helps.

Gary_T
Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:53:09 pm »

Do you still have this bill ?
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:36:16 am »

This is one for the registry... Great note!
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 08:59:42 am »

It would be nice to see a scan of the note outside of the holder. The plastic holder obscures many important features of the note.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length