Author
Topic: Suggestion: $200 notes  (Read 7629 times)
jonathan
« on: September 06, 2004, 10:39:25 pm »

Hi, there.

I have a suggestion to make for the BoC to consider for the next new series of banknotes (post-Journey series)...

Since there are no more $1,000 notes, and the $500 notes were very short-lived in the 1935 or 1937 series, might I suggest a slightly larger note for circulation someday, like, say...  a $200 bill?  The Bank of Canada has never, ever had a note of its kind since its inception, and I think this should be taken into consideration.

Just think...  a high-security $200 note...  a slightly larger note to replace the former $1,000 note...

Everyone on the forum is open to express their views.  See what you think.

Later, Jonathan
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 11:08:25 pm »

As a collector, sure bring it on.  I'd love to see one, along with $1's, $2's, $4's, etc.  The more notes the merrier!

As a member of the public, though, I'd have no use for it.  It's tough enough trying to find merchants that take $100's (even the new ones.)

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Soupie
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 12:29:06 am »

An interesting suggestion but one which I doubt we will ever see happen.  As Seth mentioned, the merchants left that do accept $100 notes, do so reluctantly and aren't likely to accept larger denomination notes.  The major market for larger bills today would be individuals who deal "under-the-table" for larger ticket items or cash transfers.  The reason the Govt pulled the $1000's was to make this activity more difficult to conduct and as an anti money laundering tactic in a Post 911 world.  Given that I don't imagine they would introduce a larger denomination note.  

But I agree, as a collector it would be nice to see....

Phil
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 12:35:56 am »

The $1,000 notes were withdrawn before 9/11.  9/11 did not play a role in the decision to withdraw the notes from circulation or cease production of them.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 12:02:04 pm »

A $200 would be a great idea, but I am forced to agree that it just wouldn't be feasible.  

If we DO expand our banknote series, it should be for a denomination that everyone can use.....

..... like the $1 or $2!
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 11:08:14 pm »

..... like the $1 or $2!

<Rolls his eyes upwards>

Maybe we'll see a $200 note when the price of chocolate bars reaches $50, then we can just add a zero to each note, which means the return of the $1000! ;D

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 11:23:52 pm »

Of course, we may very well be long dead or in a papermoneyless society by the time chocolate bars cost fifty bucks.  ;D Chocolate bars still cost a buck at the time of this posting. :D

So don't keep your hopes up for a $200 note or the return of the G-note anytime soon.  It may be centuries before we see a note larger than the C-note!

Later, Jonathan :)
Steve11
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 11:41:16 am »

You people are just plain silly. The day of "paper/metal" money is over; or will be very very shortly. The MIB had decreed that all accountz (bank or otherwise) be constantly monitored for "Unwanted" activity..this cannot be accomplished with cash...hence; the massive movement to ATM/Debit/Credit cards. The MIB have reasons for this..I dunno what they are..I'm just an OBG who keeps his money in a binder.
Mobby
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 01:55:53 pm »

I'had already done this suggestion to BoC for a $200 or $250 note. They answer that it was a good suggestion but it was not in their intention to change it for the moment.

Perhaps, if we are many to do this suggestion, they will find a interest for that.

Personnelly, I could very interested for collection and few auction to have this notes.

Best regards
jonathan
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 03:18:07 pm »

Welcome to the board, Mario. :)
Mobby
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 03:52:03 pm »

::) Thanks Jonathan,
I had followed this forum for many months and I learned so many things and find discution so interesting that it was time for me to enter in your group to have the chance to learn more.

Thanks again
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 12:21:08 am »

I hate to say this, but I have to agree with you on that.  Pretty soon only the criminals will have cash, or the people that the gov't says are criminals.  I just hope they don't include the collectors in that group.

Those times are here already.  Spent a $100 note lately?  Too often I get this vibe from the cashier:  

"Well, here's a customer with bad credit, or whose visa is maxed out.  Poor bum, his bank account's probably empty too, otherwise he'd be paying with $20's from an ATM.  I guess he gets his $100 bills from Money Mart when cashing his welfare cheque.  Or, maybe he's a grow-op runner or a drug dealer.  I mean, who else ever has $100 bills other than Money Mart customers or drug dealers?" :(

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit.  But paying cash for anything worth over $60, especially with large bills, does tend to raise these kinds of red flags.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 12:23:57 am by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length