Author
Topic: Noob questions about bricks.  (Read 5674 times)
m_samourai
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:37:36 pm »

Hi all,

I'm reading a lot of the posts in different threads with people mentioning brick searching.  Here's my few questions on the subject.  I believe I understand which notes to look for in the brick (radars,repeaters, replacements), but have some basic questions regarding bricks.

Is a brick 1000 notes in 10 bundles of 100?  If so can one get new bills in groups of 100 (if $5000 is a bit rich for a person)?

Do banks charge for this service of giving bricks, or 100 note stacks? When I went into one bank looking to get a few unc. journey 5's, a teller told me I could order new bills in for a fee of something like $12.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:48:02 pm »

Is a brick 1000 notes in 10 bundles of 100?  If so can one get new bills in groups of 100 (if $5000 is a bit rich for a person)?

Do banks charge for this service of giving bricks, or 100 note stacks? When I went into one bank looking to get a few unc. journey 5's, a teller told me I could order new bills in for a fee of something like $12.

A brick is 1000 notes but I have got them without being bundled.
In most cases 10 bundles of 100 notes
Depending on the bank, you can get unc notes. Some charge some do not. I guess it depends on your customer status. When I order in  a larger city I can occassionally get them for free. In a rural area, special orders are usually required. Prices range from 1-2 dollars per bundle regardless of denomination.
Now I guess the problem with getting only 1 bundle is that you are not as sure as when you get a sealed brick as to whether or not tampering has taken place,

The other concern is that the chances of getting a radar or repeater note is slim since your only getting 1 bundle out of the 10.
Only information from my personal experiences and there are a lot of other members here that have a lot more experience than mayself ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:49:58 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
m_samourai
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:05:13 pm »

Excellent information FRIEDSQUID.  Thank you very much.

Good point about the odds of radar notes, and tampering by only getting bundles, rather than sealed bricks.
m_samourai
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 12:10:45 am »

If anyone ever gets Blocks (4 bricks, I believe), are the bricks  sometimes sequential, or never sequential?

eg. brick one is AOU 1234000-999, would brick 2 be 1235000-999, etc?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 08:24:43 am »

I have gotten blocks in both ways. Sequential bricks and non sequential bricks.
I think a lot has to do with the way they are pulled at the depot and what is available. I have also got them in different packaging. 4 bricks sealed in clear wrap each brick sealed, as well as two bundles of 2 bricks each in the white plastic banding unwrapped.
I guess it is the luck of the draw or spin of the wheel since this is just like gambling 8)
FRIEDSQUID

schoqmcloi
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 12:02:08 pm »

Well i don't have a lot of money but i have a 20K margin of credit so i get the brick 1 day and return it the next day.

The bank doesn't charge me so i only have the interest of 1 day to pay.

Serge
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 12:40:20 pm »

What bank or credit union do you deal with and is it in  a larger city?

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 12:53:25 pm »

Bricks are actually a very serious thing.

Usually you need to order a complete Brick. MOST bank will not even bother to order a bundle.

Yes, Fees are usually always involved and you will find over time they will keep going up. Banks will start out friendly, they will order and over time they will find excuses to raise the fees. Then they will find excuses to order fewer bricks and eventually they will cut you off.

Let this be a warning to everyone....The Institutions are getting VERY serious about "Unusual Activity" in personal accounts. Even ordering the odd Bricks can change your activity ion your account and you will being setting off red flags at your Institutions head office. So even though a Branch is happy to order for you they will be told to stop.

You must also think about your PERSONAL Safety and Security. Sometimes you forget you are carrying money (It just seems like a bunch of paper). You should ALWAYS order on different days, pickup at different times and change the route to you to and from the bank each time. These are just a FEW simple precautions FOR YOUR SAFETY.

For People who are thinking of getting bricks. It is NOT as easy as it seems. Most Banks not not want anything to do with it. And the few that DO order do not want a PENNY of it back either. It costs Banks a great deal of money to ship the notes away again. This charge will very quick start falling on you. or they will just cut you off instead.

Line of Credits are a must (Unless you have plenty of money sitting around with nothing better to do). So depending on how much money you order it can get fairly expensive with Interest sometimes.

If you are in a position to order some money, order at least a Brick. That way you get the Radar & Repeater and IF you find a new Replacement range the note had better come from a sealed Brick otherwise the find will be rejected until other finds from sealed bricks have been found.

All I can say is that it is an expensive game and is like gambling. In fact it is just as addictive and I think the other senior members would agree with me that if one were to stop they would start going through withdrawal syndrome. It is ALWAYS about the "Next" Brick....

Some pay $500 - $600 in fees a month to feed this habit....  :o So keep this in mind.

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
m_samourai
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 01:27:54 pm »

Well i don't have a lot of money but i have a 20K margin of credit so i get the brick 1 day and return it the next day.

The bank doesn't charge me so i only have the interest of 1 day to pay.

Serge

Sounds like You're dealing with the right bank SCHOQMCLOI!  (I'd like to know as well which one you deal with if you could PM it to me.)

All the info and comments are greatly appreciated. (Sagely advice X-Savior!)

Thanks much, Matt
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 01:30:46 pm by m_samourai »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 09:03:15 am »

All I can say is that it is an expensive game and is like gambling. In fact it is just as addictive and I think the other senior members would agree with me that if one were to stop they would start going through withdrawal syndrome. It is ALWAYS about the "Next" Brick....

This sounds so ridiculous, but is so true. It's the long weekend, and after being told on Friday that I would no longer be able to get bricks ordered in I haven't done anything but send emails, write letters and think of ways in how I can get my bricks for next week. I don't think I have been so consumed by anything that appears to stupid to others :'(

But I think I have a plan.  I will be on the lookout for guys leaving the bank with Dollar Store bags ;D ;D ;D ;D

Login with username, password and session length