Author
Topic: $2 consecutive bills  (Read 3703 times)
ljmcdonald
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:20 am »

Hi,
I am looking for some help I am very new to this and short of pulling my hair out from reading. I have 2 and 1 dollar Canadian bills and I am curious as to the value of some of them. I have several bills approximately 250 bills and some have consecutive numbers both the $1(1973) and $2(1986). But specifically I have a set of $2 bills with the following serial numbers on them EGS1025111, EGS1025112, EGS1025115, EGS1025116, EGS1025117, EGS1025118, EGS1025119, EGS1025120, EGS1025121, EGS1025122 all signed by Bonin and Thiessen. I realize that I am missing the 13 and 14 in between which I am trying to locate. They are all in excellent condition is how I would describe them no folds and no rips no marks. Is the value increased considerably if I am able to locate the missing bills? What would be the estimated value of what I do have? And what websites would you recommend I look at on the internet? Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:09 am »

I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you, but I feel it's better to give you my honest opinion rather than false hope.

In the mid 1990s when the $2 bill was being discontinued, Canadians across the country hoarded tons of these notes, most in near perfect condition. As a result, there were still well over 100 million $2 bills still outstanding as of Dec 31 2008 (approximately the same amount as the number of $10 bills in circulation). There are even more $1 notes still outstanding.

With all of these notes in public hands, and vast quantities readily available to collectors in perfect or near-perfect condition, the value of them is barely above face value. I don't have my catalogue handy right now, but I doubt anyone on these forums would disagree if I said those notes you refer to in your post are worth $3 each, even with the number of sequential notes you have.

For more information about Bank of Canada note liabilities and notes outstanding, please check the CPM Wiki site:
http://wiki.cdnpapermoney.com/index.php?title=Bank_of_Canada_Note_Liabilities

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length