Author
Topic: 3 near perfect $1 bills  (Read 5065 times)
Kitten
« on: July 12, 2008, 04:55:53 pm »

Had someone at work today pay with 3, near pristine $1 canadian bills.  Snatched them on my break by asking for $3 cashback, and was just wondering if they're worth much. Even if they aren't I'm still very proud of this find.  Just recently started collecting, so these are an amazing way to keep me interested.  I'm not overly serious about it, but when ever I see something interesting, I do my best to get my hands on it.

bill descriptions:

BFH2273820 - Year 1973, number 79 in tiny print on the lower mid-left side.  Near pristine condition.  It's "bent" from a wallet, but there's no crease.  A possible slight "crinkle" on one side, but it may be flattened out.  one corner is SLIGHTLY bent back, but again, no crease.

BFH227380 - Similar condition and same year and all as the previous bill.

BFG4791469 - This one possibly has one or two mild creases, not in QUITE the same condition as the previous 2 bills, but still "stiff" like new money.  The tiny number on the lower left side is an 89 on this one.
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 06:52:16 pm »

They are worth, quite literally, nothing. The market is flooded with literally TONS of $1 and $2 notes by people hoarding them, thinking that they would be worth money in the future.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:38:56 pm »

This also means that you could start building a collection at a relativity low cost too. I basically started like this until I inherited a bunch from my Father.
On line auction sites have plenty of material available for any budget. Just be sure you read the descriptions well. You may also research your potential purchases buy borrowing a Charlton Banknote guide available from most libraries. from here, chart your collecting course and enjoy the hobby.
And finally this forum is a vast storehouse of information, just peruse your favorite subject. If you don't find what you are looking for there are plenty of members here willing lend their wisdom, just ask.
 :)

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Kitten
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:53:53 pm »

Thanks.  Yeah, I don't particularly care if it isn't worth much.  Whether it was worth a fortune, or less than face value, I'd probably still keep them.  This is far from the first, although the rest probably isn't worth any more.  I have a gold coin from Europe.. (don't remember the details, it's still packed away as I don't have somewhere to display it) that has the king crushing a dragon on his horse, a 2, 10 and possibly a 5 from the birds of Canada series.. And a 20 from the same series, I believe, as the $1.  Also got collectible coins from the mint..

I just figured I'd ask about the $1 mostly out of curiosity.  I thought it was quite strange that they just turned up.  Now that I think on it, it might have been a better "investment" to only take one or 2, heh.  So the other's would make their way out of circulation.  Still happy with my find.

Thanks for all the advice and such :)

Login with username, password and session length