Author
Topic: BoC Strap - When is it used?  (Read 4375 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 08, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »

The following image shows a strap with Bank of Canada - Banque Du Canada printed on it.

It was on a bundle of notes $5 (CBN) notes that I got. I thought that this type of strap is typically found in a bundle of used notes. However the bundle I got had all crisp notes in sequential order. There were two sets of sequential ordered notes in the bundle.

In the past the $5 crisp sequential notes have been in a CBN strap.

Anyone the significance of this strap? Any idea on what the numbers on it might mean?

Thx

{http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6246/1nrr.jpg:http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6246/1nrr.th.jpg}

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:25 am »

Anyone the significance of this strap? Any idea on what the numbers on it might mean?

There is no significance to this color of band....I have not only come across these green bands numerous times in my brick searches (of new sealed bricks and blocks), but have also come across blue bands and red bands as well.
I have had the various bands contain replacement notes in the bundles they wrapped at some times and the majority of other times nothing but regular notes.
I know they have been found by brickers in BC, Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba all of which found nothing special in those bundles....
I have also found bricks that have only 1 bundle banded in a color band or as many as all of them....
I can only assume somebody enjoys adding a little color to their mundane life of wrapping bundles of cash  ;D

BTW my profile pic has one of these green bands displayed for the past few years

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:14:34 pm »

There is no significance to this color of band.

BTW my profile pic has one of these green bands displayed for the past few years

Your profile pic is interesting. Thx for pointing it out. Okay it is good to know that there is no significance to the colour  unlike the colour on the straps of the US notes that seems to vary by denomination. One more thing to look forward to.

But what about the other printing on the strap? It seems that straps with CBN on it or the Bank of Canada building logo on it do not have any date stamp on it. But this strap does.

The printing goes something like this:

BOC CP_## ## MM DD YY HH:MM:SS $Denomination

Where # stands for a place where either a numeral or alpha is used and MM, DD YY stand for Month, Day and Year and HH:MM:SS stands for what appears to be hour, minute and second and Denomination stands for the face value of each note in the bundle.

I gathered from talking to the some FI staff that the notes bundled in straps with the date stamp on it and having a marking of BoC indicate that they have undergone further processing at one of the BoC warehouses. Is there any merit to this?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:03:24 am »

I gathered from talking to the some FI staff that the notes bundled in straps with the date stamp on it and having a marking of BoC indicate that they have undergone further processing at one of the BoC warehouses. Is there any merit to this? 

As I mentioned, there were occasions where I have found a replacement note within a bundle that had a color band ie AOM for instance, so it was likely that this bundle did go through another process in order for the replacement to be inserted into the bundle, however the majority of the times the bundles contain nothing unusual. Possibly a step in the quality control area....?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length