Author
Topic: Any opinions on this rare error :)  (Read 9312 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:44:13 pm »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
satterleigh
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:20:28 pm »

The note never had a security strip  !!  Security strip added in 2006
Bruxi
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:54:32 pm »

It's one of eBay's famous error-mongers.  An unfortunate breed of bottom feeders.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:19:55 pm »

I'll keep my comments private unless one of our ejukated forum members buys it!  O:-)

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:00:53 am »

The note never had a security strip  !!  Security strip added in 2006
:) I know that ..but how many don't :(

AlbertaGuy
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 10:13:29 am »

Every note I see on Ebay is rare apparently.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:08 pm »

So, let me see if I have this straight...  When the seller does not know about pre-2006 Journey notes lacking the holographic strip, that person is a fraud artist.  But when the buyer doesn't know about pre-2006 Journey notes and buys one without doing any research or consulting a catalogue, they need our protection?

No hay banda  
Weeles
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »

So, let me see if I have this straight...  When the seller does not know about pre-2006 Journey notes lacking the holographic strip, that person is a fraud artist.  But when the buyer doesn't know about pre-2006 Journey notes and buys one without doing any research or consulting a catalogue, they need our protection?

I dont think that anyone that doesn't do research or at least try to before they buy anything should have to be protected. Although once someone discovers that most ebay listings are twisted a little bit and some times a lot, then they will question the listings more. Now before you jump all over this, I do know that some sellers are actually straight forward with their listing. Reminds me of that fake counterfeit note that was list a little ways back.

I know I have made a purchase on ebay when I didn't do my research, and payed a bit to much for a foreign note. It was a minimal bit of damage and a lesson learned for sure.

Been collecting few bills for about 15 years but now getting into more serious collecting.

Bruxi
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:21:01 pm »

The tiniest bit of research would have revealed that the seller is dealer who sells many bills and they do know better.  So don't walk into the same trap the scam artist sets for the uninformed buyer (which ironically, you blame them for walking into!).  This guy also happens to be the same mega-weasel selling polymer $20's with offset digits as errors for $68 each (Oh my gosh, there's one in my wallet right now!).  It is rare to hear someone take the side of the perpetrator in online fraud.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:26:33 pm »

selling polymer $20's with offset digits as errors for $68 each 

I see he is trying, but I don't think he has sold any....
I think that any collector who has the smallest bit of knowledge realizes that you don't get $5.00 errors for 5 bucks. (unless you find them incirculation or in a brick)..the only reason I would buy it would be to give negative feedback..atleast it is free shipping :)

Bruxi
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »

..the only reason I would buy it would be to give negative feedback
For sure
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 10:43:13 pm »

The tiniest bit of research would have revealed that the seller is dealer who sells many bills and they do know better.  So don't walk into the same trap the scam artist sets for the uninformed buyer (which ironically, you blame them for walking into!).  This guy also happens to be the same mega-weasel selling polymer $20's with offset digits as errors for $68 each (Oh my gosh, there's one in my wallet right now!).  It is rare to hear someone take the side of the perpetrator in online fraud.

Where did I say I was taking sides?  I merely asked a question and you responded by name-calling.  Nowhere in my post did I call anyone a "scam artist" or a "mega-weasel".  Yeah, it's rare to hear "someone take the side of the perpetrator in online fraud".  Probably because you imagined it.  Oh, by the way, notes with offset digits are, in fact, errors, even if just technically.  Just because they are common, doesn't change what they are.  Seeing someone charge $68 for one is not any different from any listing where items are listed for a price higher than catalogue.  And eBay is full of those types of listings.  I have to grind my teeth as much as anyone when looking through piles and piles of listings where sellers are trying to hit a home run with every item they offer.

..the only reason I would buy it would be to give negative feedback.

As usual, Fred Squid's post should come with a disclaimer.  Kids, don't bid on anything on eBay unless you intend to pay.  Being a non-paying bidder doesn't make up for the bad things a few sellers do.  Anyhow, eBay has feedback removal tools and other services that make what Fred is advocating... well, just plain stupid.

No hay banda  
Bruxi
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 07:27:41 pm »

OK then - I think the answer to your first post is just a simple "yes". 

Errors are definitely a grey area, but if we're counting slightly off register serial numbers, then most of my collection are errors - miscut 1954's, blue/green dot ink errors all over my Birds notes, and bizarre mis-coloured cotton strands all through my Journey notes!
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20:07 pm »

..., then most of my collection are errors - miscut 1954's, blue/green dot ink errors all over my Birds notes, and bizarre mis-coloured cotton strands all through my Journey notes!
It sounds like you are well prepared to be a top-ranking seller on eBay.  Don't forget, a "Gem Uncirculated" note is an unpressed uncirculated with lots of defects that prove it is original.  Pressed notes try to hide those defects and cannot be considered gem... or can they??  ;D

No hay banda  
Bruxi
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 07:11:07 pm »

Or my personal favourites, Gem AU and Gem EF...

Login with username, password and session length