Author
Topic: CPMF becomes 1000 members strong!  (Read 8423 times)
PaperorPlastic
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:03:14 pm »

Ok maybe 1001 by the time I noticed  :D

I haven't been a member long compared to a lot of the veterans here but I have to say in the 2-3months I've been here I have been blown away by what a great community we have here of paper money enthusiasts.  There is so much friendly advice and discussions between members here.  Never have I seen such a great online community.  And let's not forget the SNDB which in it's own is an amazing project. 

Lastly though I think it's also a good time to give a big thanks to all the mods and volunteers that keep the site running and managing the SNDB and wiki.  It wouldn't be possible without all the time and effort they put into this.  :)

Cheers to this great forum and that it becomes another 1000 members strong!  ^-^

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:41 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, PaperorPlastic.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
AlbertaGuy
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 03:55:56 pm »

1000 ! that's quite a milestone.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »

I wouldn't get too excited by that "milestone".  There are lots of people who join and never post, or post once and never come back, leaving their accounts abandoned.  In the past, dead accounts used to be cleared from the system.  I don't know what the protocol is at this time.

No hay banda  
AZ
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 04:54:57 pm »

I wouldn't get too excited by that "milestone".  There are lots of people who join and never post, or post once and never come back, leaving their accounts abandoned.  In the past, dead accounts used to be cleared from the system.  I don't know what the protocol is at this time.

Same accounts are used in the forums and SNDB. There may be users who rarely or never post but still enter notes in the database, so the accounts that may appear dead are still being kept.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:59:10 pm »

Personally I think any account that is inactive for a year should be deleted...but that is only my opinion...

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »

Same accounts are used in the forums and SNDB. There may be users who rarely or never post but still enter notes in the database, so the accounts that may appear dead are still being kept.

Hmm, that's an interesting perspective, one I overlooked.  Does a one-time contribution to the SNDB mean a person's account is automatically kept open forever?

Anyhow, the original point remains... there have been way more than 1,000 accounts opened since the forum went into existence, but old obsolete accounts have been deleted periodically.  But I understand the need to celebrate nice round numbers, so keep in mind that January 1st is coming...  :santa:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:59:50 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 01:55:34 am »

Thanks for the reminder - hadn't done this in a while.  So we're back down a fair bit now.  And that's just after deleting the zero-post people who haven't been back in the last six months.  I could clear out more if I expanded the # of posts.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »

Does having dormant accounts actually cause a problem for the people running the forums? Six months seems an awfully short time to have one's account terminated for inactivity.

There's a automotive-related forum I post on once every two or three years. It's true I'm not "active" on that forum but when I have a question about something I'm glad my account is still there because the people who do hang out on that forum are extremely helpful.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »

Make it a 728 member milestone now ;)

But I'm glad to see that this thread helped with something.  :)

Thanks for the reminder - hadn't done this in a while.  So we're back down a fair bit now.  And that's just after deleting the zero-post people who haven't been back in the last six months.  I could clear out more if I expanded the # of posts.

If you log into the SNDB does that count as activity or is it just when you log into the forum?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:56:24 pm »

Does having dormant accounts actually cause a problem for the people running the forums? Six months seems an awfully short time to have one's account terminated for inactivity.

Only those accounts who have NEVER posted and have not visited the forums in the last six months were removed.  That criteria, to me, is a clear statement of not being interested in this forum.

If you log into the SNDB does that count as activity or is it just when you log into the forum?

No - Logging into the SNDB does not update your forum profile's "last visit" timestamp.  The SNDB merely reads the forum database for the purpose of authenticating users.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:58:02 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
t-spoon64
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »

MMARS 

Your probably not, but, your a bit of a buzz kill with your comments.  This is my first post if I do it right.  I am not much of a computer guy but the info. I have read from this site has been eye opening.  1000+ people signing up for this site should be celibrated.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 05:28:35 pm »

MMARS  Your probably not, but, your a bit of a buzz kill with your comments 
:D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 08:26:01 pm »

MMARS 

Your probably not, but, your a bit of a buzz kill with your comments.  This is my first post if I do it right.  I am not much of a computer guy but the info. I have read from this site has been eye opening.  1000+ people signing up for this site should be celibrated.

Hey, let's get one thing straight... If something bad happened to Buzz, I had nothing to do with it.  He and I did not see each other in many weeks.

No hay banda  
t-spoon64
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »

Too funny.  You've got humor too.  Nice. 
Take care.
Ernest

Login with username, password and session length