Author
Topic: what am I missing here..  (Read 4032 times)
Shylo
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:58 am »

{http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/284/1a5r.jpg:http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/284/1a5r.th.jpg}

So I saw this note from a seller.. sorry I just saved a pic and then put it up here b/c I don't know how to find the listing number from "the bay"

A couple of red flags for me though... #1 the starting price on this auction is pretty low and so far no takers...

#2 the seller has very little feedback and looking through the 30+ sales he/she has made none of them are of notes or coins... this is the first... all the rest have been fashion, clothing or accessories...

Could someone with a better eye than me tell me if this note actually is legit?!?
Weeles
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:33 pm »

People might be hesitant with a newer seller to go after a banknote. My opinion is it looks real.
 What is the going price right now?
 I would say it looks like a FINE in grade with some staining but that would be my opinion only.

Been collecting few bills for about 15 years but now getting into more serious collecting.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:37:54 pm »

Too funny.

The 98% of listings that are overgraded and/or overpriced don't elicit any reaction.  The minute someone throws a scarcer note up for sale at a reasonable price, it elicits red flags.  :D

But, for what it's worth, the note's edges are short.  I'm not saying the note has been trimmed, I'm saying it may as well be trimmed because those short edges make the note look ugly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:40:33 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Shylo
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:37:13 am »

I personally don't care if someone has something overpriced... if they can get good money for it.. kudos to them...

Just I've heard of the saying that when something it often too good to be true .... its usually because it isn't..

I had only seen one in my life and to be honest I really liked it then.. but the price was more than a bit out of my range...this one looked a bit odd to me b/c from the one I had seen it had said "five" on both sides of the note... this one had the seal on the right hand side... I had to look at my catalog to figure out that there were multiple different issues.

Great eye on the margins..... I certainly wouldn't have picked that up.

Just curious does anyone have an opinion what this note value would be... perhaps it is such a low price because of the margins

Login with username, password and session length