Author
Topic: iCollect 2.0  (Read 3868 times)
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:05:48 pm »

Hi All:

Any Mac users out there want to help me beta test iCollect 2.0? I you remember iCollect 1, this is it's successor rewritten from the ground up for Mac OS X 10.8 and newer (although it really likes Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)) while preserving the old user interface.

Requirements are:

Mac OS X 10.8 or newer (prefers Mac OS X 10.9 or newer).
Scans or pictures of your notes.
If you have a Facebook or twitter account, you can share info about your notes on the social media sites. However, I don't, so you can help testing that bit of the application.
If you can run your Mac in Canadian French, that would be good as there is a french interface, but the text is probably not the best. So if you can help fix the french, I'd appreciate that. And my apologies in advance to those who speak french.
Some time to provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms. If there's a feature you think would help, I'm all ears.
If you discover a bug, accurate reproduction steps so I can fix the bug. Accurate reproduction steps are: I clicked this, I typed that, I pressed OK. It crashed.  Not: "It doesn't work!!".

I've got over 825 notes in my collection and it has yet to fail me, but I'm the author, I know how it works.

Other features in iCollect2 is adding a note from a template. This allows iCollect to complete most of the information needed when adding a note, but it needs the current price, current value serial number and of course the images of the note. Currently all the notes from the Bank of Canada are in the templates, if you need other templates, you can add info to the template list.

You can find notes bought from a dealer, with a specific catalog number, signature pair or printer for example.

You can keep customers, currencies, printers and locations of your notes in iCollect.

You can also copy the information from iCollect and paste it into Numbers or Excel.

You can export the notes into webpages and to text. The formats of which are a little different than printing.

You can 'export' the database to use in the up coming iPad version of iCollect2. I'm working on that now, ETA is to be determined.

I've attacked a couple of images of the printing you can do with iCollect as well as the main user interface.

At the end of this all, this application will be donation ware, that is make a donation to your favourite charity - Sick Kids, CHEO, SPCA. I'm doing this to manage my own collection, but if it'll help someone else, especially from a donation, that'll be good.

So send me a message or reply to this thread and I'll email you a copy of the application. Currently, it's about 3.8 MB, so make sure your email client can handle something that big.

Hope to hear from fellow Mac users.

John

Images seem to be a problem right now, so I'll add a reply and see if I can put the images there.

Paper Money is Art!
papa.charlie
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:17:02 pm »

Nice work John!

Makes me wish I had a Mac. Any chance you'd ever release something similar for PC?

JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »

I'm not a Windows programmer.  If you know of anyone, let me know. Maybe we can convince him or her to help work on it!

Paper Money is Art!
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:11 pm »

Errgh! Images seem to be broken now. I'm trying to post a 25K JPG file and I'm getting 'Oops. Something went wrong' (I really like error messages like this...). I'll get Image Shack settle down and try to post the images later.

JC

Paper Money is Art!
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:35:09 pm »

Awesome, JohnnyG5! Thanks for updating it. Sign me up please.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length