Author
Topic: Note Cataloging System  (Read 4765 times)
papa.charlie
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:30:10 pm »

The recent topic discussion about safely storing your notes (http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=14309.0
) got me curious about how others catalog their notes so they can easily be located when stored or simply inventoried. I have an Excel doc and have labeled all the holders of my notes using the Charlton cataloging system. I find the system to be somewhat useful but I'd like to know what else is out there.

How are others doing this? Are people using the Charlton cataloging system? Using a spreadsheet to keep track of your inventory? If so, what fields are you tracking, etc.?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:35:22 pm by papa.charlie »

therealco1986
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:35:21 pm »

I've got a digital catalog.  But, I don't like having labels on my holders.  Eventually, I intend to have the notes in nice binders.  Just not sure how yet?  haha
ece
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:37:30 pm »

I am currently in the process of designing a small database driven website where I will be using it to keep track of all my notes. I currently have no idea when I will finish it, but it keeps me busy during the summer months.

Some fields I plan on incorporating for each individual note are the Charlton, denomination, series, signatures, fpn/bpn, serial, condition (reference to TPG link if avail.), catalogue value, and additional remarks. Also some check boxes that will indicate if there is anything about the note, e.g. special serial, replacement, error, scan of note available, etc.

I currently have most of this info in raw database form. Just working on a way to easily display/edit this information..
therealco1986
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:03:56 pm »

Woudnt mind having something like this...
papa.charlie
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »

Some fields I plan on incorporating for each individual note are the Charlton, denomination, series, signatures, fpn/bpn, serial, condition (reference to TPG link if avail.), catalogue value, and additional remarks. Also some check boxes that will indicate if there is anything about the note, e.g. special serial, replacement, error, scan of note available, etc.

In addition to the fields you mention, I use: shop/dealer/auction house, printer, and what I paid for the note.

shrek999
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:35:00 pm »

I use an excel spreadsheet with the following sections, and use a worksheet for each series of notes
Cat no   Den   Signature   Prefix   SN   Grade   Value
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:51 pm »

This is an interesting thread because it raises the question on how and what collectors collect.  I have always found this interesting and probably even more so since online auctions and this Canadian Paper Money Forum & since meeting fellow collectors & sharing such thoughts at the odd show I've attended.

I have used basic word processing to track my collection in the past and then switched to a spreadsheet ("Numbers" a part of the package included in Imac/Apple)

I later tracked according to Charlton code, Oldest to newest, denomination (lowest to highest and only to $20 though I would love to make that $25 some day), estimated # printed (according to Charlton), Special notes of interest like where purchased or "lost prefix" for 2003 BEL Journey $10) Initially, my tracking had no Charlton correlation but as their system improved & became more comprehensive I eventually turned to it.  On occasion I used to put a purchase price or BV on some of the rarer notes but this is so fluid that I have discontinued this practice.

My tracking has no correlation with my storage/organization of notes other than going from oldest to most recent series, as I rarely keep it updated and I only try to go from oldest to most recent series.  I have always found it a challenge to keep an up-to-date record of what I have collected/stored. 

coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:35:02 pm »

I use an excel spreadsheet as well. I collect prefixes so in addition to the regular info (year, cat. #, etc.) next to the prefix column I have a column for the denomination letter. This allows me to sort any year, denomination $ and see at a glance what prefix I am missing. I also use a comment column which has every variation from radars, special serial #'s, change overs, devil face, etc. etc.  what ever you want. You then can sort these to see any specific range of notes.

Login with username, password and session length