Author
Topic: International registered letter lost  (Read 3724 times)
AZ
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »

I recently purchased a few notes from a collector in Nicaragua. I sent him $50 cash in a registered letter (that is how he wanted to get paid), he sent me his notes two days later. I received his letter in 3 weeks, but he still has not received mine, after about 6 weeks.

How long should I wait until I contact Canada Post? Is there any insurance that is provided with registered mail, and is there any chance of getting some money back? Letter tracking is apparently not available in Nicaragua.

I still hope the seller eventually receives my letter. I have had a couple of registered letters sent to me in the past which took over 5 weeks to arrive (from Australia and Singapore). In both cases the delay was at customs, both letters just sat there for 3 weeks in each case.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:08:29 pm »

Check your receipt.  Registered mail usually comes with $100 insurance included, though if you don't specifically ask for it, they might mark it as "Declined".  Obviously, you should not tell them there was cash in the envelope as they use that as an excuse to nullify claims.

I have never sent any kind of mail to Nicaragua, so can't comment on delivery times and reliability of tracking to that country.

No hay banda  
therealco1986
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:12:24 pm »

Not sure how the insure international packages though.  Sometimes they don't do anything when it goes out of country...

Login with username, password and session length