Author
Topic: Selling banknotes  (Read 5860 times)
Rigel1870
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:28:44 pm »

Hi everyone.  Does anyone have experience using sites like Kijiji or Facebook to sell banknotes?  Obviously Kijiji is safer because it's more anonymous, but I find it takes forever to find a buyer.  You'll get one or two grinders (sometimes from out of town) emailing you.  On Facebook, thousands of people see your stuff and you can usually sell it within 24 hours.  However, the disadvantage of Facebook is privacy.  Everyone can see your real name and your face.  That's why I usually stick to selling things like books, bottles, Nintendo games, and other low value collectibles on there.  I don't want to get robbed.  What do you guys think?  I hate having stuff sitting around collecting dust.  I'd rather sell it right away, but I don't want to copromise my safety.  Thanks.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:57 pm »

why not sell it on the forums Trading Post :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 06:48:50 pm »

I would never sell bank notes that way. Far too risky on too many fronts. eBay is the way I go.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Rigel1870
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:46 pm »

why not sell it on the forums Trading Post :)

I would love to do that.  I put all my 1935 bills on ebay but I only get about 30 views and no buyers.  I don't have enough posts to be able to sell on the trading post.  I'm not sure how many you need, but I'll be there once I'm allowed for sure.
JB-2007
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:37:55 am »

I don't have enough posts to be able to sell on the trading post.  I'm not sure how many you need, but I'll be there once I'm allowed for sure.
15 :)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »

Does anyone have experience using sites like Kijiji or Facebook to sell banknotes?

A collector friend of mine bought a graded note through Kijiji.   He negotiated the asking price then they decided to meet.  The key is to meet in public place (& not be too flashy).   Hope this helps. 

Rigel1870
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 10:38:05 pm »

Thanks walktothewater.
I always meet in a public place.  If I have to deliver something to a house, I always do it with a friend.  I've had some people from around the country buy stuff from Kijiji like the $1 bills from 1973 and coin sets.  Facebook would be a great way to get exposure for items if it wasn't so privacy invasive.  There are over 10,000 people in my city's buy and sell group so you can usually sell stuff right away.  I've sold a Devil's Face $10 and a 1900 Saunders Shinplaster fast on there.  However, you get lots of trolls and I wouldn't be surprised if theives are on there.  I had a friend that goes to auctions that got robbed recently.
hanmer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:15:31 pm »

What about creating another Facebook account strictly for selling notes that is not associated with your personal account? Just get yourself another Gmail account and create a new Facebook account.

:)

:)

Login with username, password and session length