Topic: ROTATOR  (Read 6077 times)
Roberto
  • cpms 1223
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:41:41 pm »

PMG  recognizes the rotator with the number 1 E/R 8111118  EBAY
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:02:12 pm »

Just goes to show that PMG will certify just about anything as long as someone wants to pay for it.  They've clearly made up their own definition of a rotator note because the Canadian definition per the Charlton guide does not recognize the digit 1 as a rotatable digit.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:31 pm »

I just did a search for "flipper" in the U.S. paper money category.  My hypothesis was that maybe PMG got the idea that 1's are OK based on criteria for flipper notes.  But alas, not a single U.S. note turned up in my search containing 1 as a digit.  But this is rather a moot point as it is clear flippers are not rotators.  They are not even remotely close.  It seems like any notes with serial numbers made up of 0s, 6s, 8s and 9s are "flippers".  At least according to their owners, anyhow.   O:-)

No hay banda  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:36:04 am »

Just goes to show that PMG will certify just about anything as long as someone wants to pay for it.  They've clearly made up their own definition of a rotator note because the Canadian definition per the Charlton guide does not recognize the digit 1 as a rotatable digit.

The Charlton guide is not authoritative on such matters. I have always disagreed with its editors' opinion that 1 should be excluded because of the serif. I don't consider the serif on the 1 to be any less significant than the difference in sizes of the top and bottom loops of the 8 since the 1979 series, which Charlton does consider permissible to have as rotator digits. If you're going to allow 8, it only makes sense to also allow 1.

I say kudos to PMG and it's about time that somebody challenged Charlton on its opinion.

EDIT: oops, I didn't notice that the note in question is a 1954 series note with its big bottomed 1s  - I do support excluding those.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:49:09 am by Seth »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Roberto
  • cpms 1223
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:00:26 am »

The Charlton guide is not authoritative on such matters. I have always disagreed with its editors' opinion that 1 should be excluded because of the serif. I don't consider the serif on the 1 to be any less significant than the difference in sizes of the top and bottom loops of the 8 since the 1979 series, which Charlton does consider permissible to have as rotator digits. If you're going to allow 8, it only makes sense to also allow 1.

I say kudos to PMG and it's about time that somebody challenged Charlton on its opinion.

EDIT: oops, I didn't notice that the note in question is a 1954 series note with its big bottomed 1s  - I do support excluding those.

yes, be agreed

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:50:50 pm »

LOL, I don't think arguing the definition of a rotator is going to get far as the author of the original CPMS Newsletter article on the subject and the owner of this forum is the same person.  The Charlton catalogue did not invent the rotator note nor the criteria for defining it.  People can collect quasi-rotator notes if they want, but they should be aware that the pricing for such notes will be different than for rotators that adhere to the stricter criteria.

On a lighter note, did anyone else notice that the word ROTATOR is actually a palindrome (i.e., radar) and not a rotator? 

No hay banda  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:38:36 pm »

LOL, I don't think arguing the definition of a rotator is going to get far as the author of the original CPMS Newsletter article on the subject and the owner of this forum is the same person. 

My remarks earlier referred specifically to digits in the OCR-B font as used on Journey, Frontier, and the 1979 series. If we want to make the strictest rules, then only 0, 6, and 9 should be allowed. 8 and 1 both look different when rotated. Charlton has decided to draw the line so that 8 is included but 1 is out. I disagree, seeing no significant difference between the upside down 8 and 1 that would have one included but not the other. Excluding the 1 does make sense to me for Birds series and older serial numbers, but not for OCR-B unless the 8 is thrown out as well.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length