Author
Topic: Tiny numbers at edges of bills?  (Read 6362 times)
Dottir
« on: February 25, 2008, 12:18:19 am »

Hi folks,

Am wondering what the extremely tiny numbers at the front and back edges of bills/notes are all about? These show in the "Journey"? notes (2004/5/6) that I have on hand.

And is it "special" when on one note/bill that the numbers front and back are the same number? Example F-99/B-99 ... (I mentioned this number in my post about high/low for my APB $5)

Thanks.

Dottir.
LBIsackson
  • Money is: "Limited Edition Art"
    • LB Isackson Digital Fine Art
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 01:08:40 am »

The tiny numbers are front and back plate numbers..
Every plate has a specific number that tells the press man where he should  locate it..

Money is: "Limited Edition Art"
The smaller the edition ... the better the art
Dottir
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:05:48 am »

Thanks LBIsackson.

I know zip about printing processes and terminology, but am assuming that the "plate" roughly is similar to the idea of a "mold" ... I have this idea in my head that a "plate" is the specific picture/pattern thats to be imprinted on paper, so if both front and back of that $5 note is printed from plate 99, I'm thinking wouldn't the image be same both sides of the bill if both printed from the same plate then? Just wondering ...

Thanks.

Dottir.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:05:09 am »

Am wondering what the extremely tiny numbers at the front and back edges of bills/notes are all about? These show in the "Journey"? notes (2004/5/6) that I have on hand.

And is it "special" when on one note/bill that the numbers front and back are the same number? Example F-99/B-99 ... (I mentioned this number in my post about high/low for my APB $5

Maybe someone can post the links because I cannot seem to find them, but when I first came on the forum these were all very similar questions that I had and there were a few very good articles that helped me tremendously.
They desribed FP BP position numbers, how replacements (sheet and snrs) were found, reams etc.
Some of the articles were posted by Hudson and one I believe by Xaviour.  All excellent reading containing vast amounts of information.  If you can find these which are on this site somewhere you will have a lot of your questions answered.
There are also some great diagrams that help as well.
Good luck.   If I find them I will post the links if someone doesn't find them sooner

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:10:24 am »

If you send me your email address I can forward all of these documents.
I have copies on my computer ...I just don't have the links.

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Dottir
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:28:29 am »

Excellent!!! I've been browsing in here lots, visiting links, and googling like crazy looking for info to try get myself familiar with everything.

Email in a PM to you shortly Friedsquid ad I look forward to the reading! :)

I imagine that most people new to this stuff ask all the same questions and it is handy to be able to point them to or send them info. I know as a new person to this whole area of interest, like pre-kindergarten level who doesn't even know the language yet, that I need to be pointed to where I can learn this stuff (don't know what to look for when I know nothing and thats where you oldtimers experts come in handy for me! Thank you.)

Meanwhile, will go look for that $10 pic ;)

Dottir.
Dottir
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:07:15 pm »

If you send me your email address I can forward all of these documents.
I have copies on my computer ...I just don't have the links.

FRIEDSQUID

Copies received Friedsquid, and thank you! I skimmed through all 3 copies and am still very confused about all thats written but am sure I'll understand the references soon enough at the constant rate I've been browsing info lately.

I did notice in some of the graphs/boxes in those articles that matching front and back plate numbers showed ... so my matching F/B numbers not unusual or a mistake I gather :)

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:27:10 pm »

The tiny numbers are front and back plate numbers..
Every plate has a specific number that tells the press man where he should  locate it..

Thanks LBIsackson.

I know zip about printing processes and terminology, but am assuming that the "plate" roughly is similar to the idea of a "mold" ... I have this idea in my head that a "plate" is the specific picture/pattern thats to be imprinted on paper, so if both front and back of that $5 note is printed from plate 99, I'm thinking wouldn't the image be same both sides of the bill if both printed from the same plate then? Just wondering ...

Thanks.

Dottir.

The numbers on Canadian Journey series banknotes, Birds of Canada series banknotes, and some Scenes of Canada (multicoloured) series banknotes are position numbers rather than plate numbers.

Position numbers are such that each of the n (ie: 36, 40, 45) banknotes on a sheet have different position numbers, but the arrangement of position numbers (layout) is static for the entire print run.

Plate numbers are the same for each banknote on the entire sheet, but the plate numbers increment upwards from the beginning of the print run. For example, in the 1954 series notes, BABN $1s started off with prefix A/M. They also started with plate # 1. Over time, they got down to about X/M and were using plate numbers in the 40s. By the time they neared the end of the F series, they were using plate numbers of well over 100, and I think they even peaked past 200.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dottir
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:17:24 pm »

Thanks BWJM.

I feel like a dummy (slow to grasp things still) and things will start sinking in better soon ... meanwhile, does there happen to be a good simplistic site to recommend for me along the lines of Canadian money making processes and terms simply explained for dummies/idiots? With pictures would be good :D

Thanks anyone!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:39:52 pm »

lol - No, I don't think there is such a site, but I am kinda partial to this site ;)

Spend a lot of time reading, and when you have a question, search for the answer - Chances are, someone has asked the same question already. If you can't find an answer, post to an appropriate forum, and one of our helpful members will respond.

Cheers!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dottir
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:59:40 pm »

I kinda like this site too :) and will keep reading for sure. I've spent a huge amount of time in here alone and have already picked up a lot of education and pointers. Will also spend time at library tomorrow looking over the new Charlton book (reference material only so can't bring home) and try and handwrite important notes, hands willing.

Would be nice to turn on TV and see the program "How It's Made" to see that they happen to be doing a Canadian money making process show :D I love how that show describes every important step of every process of making things.

Cheers back!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 01:00:53 am »

Thq - for the reference.  The website for this article is here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/collectorsgallery/CGPaperJourney.html

The articles are listed from this page. I hope they can be of some service to you.

Best Regards,
Hudsonab

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Dottir
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 02:30:38 am »

Thank you, much appreciated HudsonAB ;)

Login with username, password and session length