Author
Topic: Inks on the 1988 $1000  (Read 3817 times)
BCS
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:17:12 pm »

Hello all.

I had submitted to me an interesting $1000 note the other day.  It is a 1988 $1000, Thiessen Crow Signature, with a serial number in the accepted range.  The only thing that is strange about it is that, when scanned, the inks turn out much redder then other thousands scanned.  Now, the only other 1988 $1000 I had on hand to scan was a Bonin Thiessen signature, which leads me to think that there may be a change of inks used somewhere in the $1988 Run.  I compared the Thiessen-Crow scan with many other Bonin-Thiessen scans and with every one there was a stark difference.

Now when i first encountered this, the first thing that jumped to my mind was that the note was counterfeit.  But under very close examination, the note seems authentic.  It's wearing properly, the micro printing and planchets are there; it seems rather legit.

I was wondering if any of you can spread some light on my little query?

Thanks

BCS
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »

I'm not aware of any confirmed ink changes in the Birds $1,000 notes, but it has been observed generally that, similar to other series, the colours of inks have changed gradually over time. Some possible explanations include normal variations in the amount or density of ink applied, or a deliberate tint shift over time. Bottom line is, I don't know for sure.

I'll likely be popping into the store tomorrow if I can, so if you still have the note on-hand, I wouldn't mind taking a peek.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:02 pm »

Well, it does indeed appear to be an authentic note as far as I was able to determine. All security features check out. Initial guesses (I am hesitant to say conclusions) are that the ink reacts differently under various light sources, namely ambient room lighting, and the light cast by a scanner bulb. I still want to do a few more observations and I will be working with BCS in the coming weeks to do so.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:35:47 pm »

I have compared a lot of bird series 20s that I had and there were a lot of variations on tints and darkness and lightness of printing on the notes. Some notes were printed very rich, others had a weak washed out appearance. I think the B/T ones seemed lighter.
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:08:35 pm »

I have noticed that on my Bn-Th AIX replacement, it's a very bright green, but in one signed Kn-Do, it has a darkish green appearance.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
bc collect
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:11:06 pm »

A lot of notes apear to have color changes over the years, bird notes and others as well.
Even thou the BoC will not admit to tests right now that does not mean they might in the future.
 Just like they did not admit to inserts till some time ago.  ???  :(
We will have to wait and hope and see.

Login with username, password and session length