Author
Topic: Bird Series - Anyone get them anymore.  (Read 4295 times)
kaindarren
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:37:47 am »

Hi. I was wondering if anyone gets the bird series anymore when you go to your local branch. Either its 5s 10s or 20s. Lately I haven't seen much of the 5s 10s 50s or 100s but 20s sometime. I sometime find them and just keep them. Does anyone still get the bird series?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:50:29 am »

Hi. I was wondering if anyone gets the bird series anymore when you go to your local branch. Either its 5s 10s or 20s. Lately I haven't seen much of the 5s 10s 50s or 100s but 20s sometime. I sometime find them and just keep them. Does anyone still get the bird series?

Still get birds, but it seems that in my area the $20's and $50's appear more often and usually get them in ATM's, the 5's and 10's tend not to be  showing up as much. I don't see any point in saving the circulated ones unless something extremely special. You can pick up UNC ones at resonable prices.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:03:58 am »

I have found a couple $20 birds, they were nothing special, so I spent them

hanmer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:04:23 am »

I found a brand new $5 a few years back at the YMCA. I do see $20 come from ATM's once in a while. I check them, but never anything good.

:)

:)
FogDevil
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:23 pm »

A friend I was with last Sunday did pay for a purchase with a Birds $20.  The Birds $20s seem to be the most commonly found of all the Birds series notes in existence, IMO.

As for the other denominations, I don't see very much in terms of Birds series anymore, though I did receive a Birds $10 in my change in the summer of 2006.  And in November that same year (just days before the upgraded Journey $5s were released), I did pick up some Birds $5s from a very busy Scotiabank branch, and they were in favourable condition, though not crisp.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:36 pm »

I was paid with a GPT Bonin-Thiessen Birds $5 less than two weeks ago.  I remarked to the guy "cool, an old $5. I haven't seen one of these in years."

"Huh?" the guy asked. "Is there a new one?"

I had to get out a current $5 and show both notes to him side by side for him to understand what I was talking about. "Well, I never noticed that before," he said. He did recognize Laurier on both bills, though.

Honestly, I think some people could be paid with Monopoly money and not bat an eyelash at it.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length