Author
Topic: How to ship notes  (Read 4324 times)
gradmaoldcash
« on: April 14, 2007, 09:15:07 pm »

Since I am new to this I would like to know what is the best way to ship a note without it becoming damaged. I thought about puting it between 2 stiff pieces of cardboard and UPS it Thanks
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:36 pm »

Avoid UPS. Unless you want the UPS letter envelope mixed in with the 100lb packages in the UPS truck.  I wish I could find a picture of the CGA graded UNC66 note I bought the seller mailed by UPS 2 day service that got crumpled  :'(.  Since people are now buying the holder and not the note inside, would the VF+ note that is now housed in the crumpled holder that is labelled UNC-66 still qualify as UNC-66 and fetch the same price??? ::)

In short, use the postal system. Much safer from handling letters than UPS/Fedex that handle packages.  I would place in an acetate or mylar holder between two leaves of stiff cardboard. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 10:48:22 pm by jasper »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:40:01 pm »

Putting the note(s) in a mylar sleeve and placed between two pieces of stiff cardboard is the best.  One thing I can suggest is that when I send a note out I also wrap the entire cardboard with a piece of saran wrap. The reason for this being that if your item goes into a mail box outside or even if it placed somewhere where it could possibly get wet this will save the notes from being ruined.  I had a recent incident  where it worked and the notes where fine.

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:36:21 am »

I wish I could find a picture of the CGA graded UNC66 note I bought the seller mailed by UPS 2 day service that got crumpled.  Since people are now buying the holder and not the note inside, would the VF+ note that is now housed in the crumpled holder that is labelled UNC-66 still qualify as UNC-66 and fetch the same price???

Wow, that image of the $10 Federal Reserve Note note in the crumpled holder is frightening indeed! I have often wondered about the same thing myself, i.e. what happens if a note in a certified holder should become damaged through poor handling of the HOLDER (e.g., bends, cuts, holes, thermal damage, chemical damage). My feeling is that if the HOLDER displays any significant damage or mishandling then the grade on the holder automatically becomes meaningless, invalid and void.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:49:27 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:04:11 am »

Ottawa, agreed. I was just being funny.  That is why I am a bit leery of mylar which seems to not handle bends as well as acetate holders like the ones Gatewest sells. But, I have seen some of those turn yellow over years and wondered how good they are for long-term storage.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:11:29 pm »

To protect notes of high value, I have used 1/4 inch plywood, cut to suit an express envelope 5.5 X 9 inches appoximately. One piece will do, the note in its holder taped to the plywood. Stiffer and safer than cardboard. Cardboard in two layers is not bad as long as the post office doesn't fold the package in half.

Rick
hanmer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

A tip to help with the ppost office folding the envelope. Write Pictures Do Not Bend on the outside.

:)

:)
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:01:34 pm »

The grade remains the same but the note becomes "original".

Don't laugh, that's how one dealer I know grades unc notes.  Perfectly flat note = not original (pressed, etc); note with counting creases is "original Unc".  And now, with TPG, we have the grading system to substantiate it!

Too funny! ;D

Login with username, password and session length