Author
Topic: New Journey $5 Test Note (This is NOT a Joke!)  (Read 69426 times)
Dr.Bill
  • CPMS Member 1520
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2006, 09:57:47 am »

HOW 0526653  feel softer, smoother and possibly thinner than regular $5 notes. From reading the comments on these test notes, it appeared to be limited to the HOW 0.52 - 0.54 range and not to the HOW 0.83 - 0.85 range.
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2006, 10:07:21 am »

HOW 0526653  feel softer, smoother and possibly thinner than regular $5 notes. From reading the comments on these test notes, it appeared to be limited to the HOW 0.52 - 0.54 range and not to the HOW 0.83 - 0.85 range.

Paul and Tom, in what range are the note you got?

Martin

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2006, 01:12:27 pm »

I have sat down several individuals who knew NOTHING about money and had them look at, feel and smell the notes.  8-)

Results were that they noticed BOTH ranges felt the same (And Different). They all said the same thing it felt softer, very limp. The Surface seemed much smoother. I lined up a HOW 0.52, HOW 0.83, HOW 2.71, HOW 8.50, HOV 7.72, HOY 0.53 for the test. They picked out the "Test" notes right away as the notes that were "Different".  :D

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2006, 02:17:11 pm »

I got my note from X-savior.  Nice note, whose serial number is HOW0841056, in the middle of one of the suspected ranges of "test" notes.

My observations are not conclusive.  

The note seems a bit limper that another HOW I took as comparision, but not strikingly.  It's only by holding by one side and let the note hanging horizontally that I observe the "test" bends more downward than the ordinary note.

On the thickness, I measured each note with a caliper (0.001") and found no measurable difference (both note having a thickness of 0.004 in.)  Would need a caliper able to measure down to 0.0001 ".

On the odour, the difference is not striking (for me).  If there is a difference, I would say that the odour is more like putty or some linseed oil-based printing ink that old rubber...

The feeling is maybe a bit smoother that the ordinary note, I'm not sure.

The weight:  I weighted each note on an analytical scale (which can weight an hair ).  I found no significant difference.  The "test" note weighted 1,0099 grams whereas the ordinary note weigths  0,9785 g.  With this precision, I can detect the variation in the humidity of the paper, or the thickness or quantity of ink.  Too much parameters plays to say something really useful.

I look them with a magnifying glass and saw nothing really different.  The look under UV light is the same on both notes.

I tried to stretch the note along a side, and it seemed to stretch a bit, as a very stiff rubber. The ordinary note didn't gave the same feeling.

I didn't tried to tear the note (at the price I paid for, I want not to do any damage on it until I'm absolutely sure that an very ordinary paper note).

I plan to take infrared spectra of these notes (plus others paper and polymer notes as comparision).  The infrared spectra tells about the nature of a material.  I hope to detect polymer, if there is any.  The test is non-destructive, so it leaves the notes intact.  But I won't be able to do such tests before two weeks.  

I also want to show this note to some friends without telling them which note is the test note. I will give the forum the results when I'll have them.

So, until more informed, I keep my judgement...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:17:36 pm by copperpete »

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2006, 10:43:19 pm »

Nice!!! We have a scientist in the forum! Finally, some real tests. I have also purchased a few of these, but have not tested them due to their new "value" to me. But since reading all these recent posts, I'm really itching to rip and stretch this note. So if I don't hear any results soon, one of my HOW notes are done for.

Big ups for copperpete!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 10:44:35 pm by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2006, 11:25:37 pm »

Had a look at another note in the 0.84 range ( Tom's notes ) and about 7 or 8 of us checked it against a 0.54 HOW and a  few other recent prefixes. Couldn't detect any noteworthy differences.  

I will be at the CNA again tomorrow with a group of HOU's ( thanks John ) which are even more limp feeling than the HOW's. I'll get a few members to do the usual yanking, pulling, ripping, tearing, spitting and burning tests.

The different " feel " may just be due to the supply of paper stock coming from a different maunfacturer.

Gary

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:31:48 pm by sudzee »
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2006, 11:31:06 pm »

How ironic!

I picked up 2 mixed bricks of HOU today, and just grabbed a beer and started browsing through the first one, and guess what?

Found a few HOH inserts 970xxxx, and 978xxxx, and 979xxxx.  

I noticed that these inserts felt a little different than the HOU's they were replacing, so I took my HOH9784390, and it stretches a little, were all notes usually tear, and did not tear my first try. Looking at the back of the note, I was able to tear above the large five in the top left hand corner, but is certainly very much more difficult to tear this note in the dead center, and most other areas of the note if it even tears. The areas that don't tear kind of wrinkle up, and slide through my fingers. It feels like the note has a layer of very thin saran wrap embedded in the note, when I do apply enough force to tear it. The HOU's rip normal.

HA! Now I'm gonna burn it!  

P.S. I've been tearing up notes for almost two weeks now, and there definitely is a difference with this note.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:39:18 pm by Manada »

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2006, 12:13:19 am »

I was just starting to get worried that I made a mistake by tearing up my HOH9784390, because it is the only one I have in that range. But I checked out the other ranges I have and noticed that the HOH9709699 feels like regular paper money, but my HOH979xxxx inserts(which I found 6 by the way) are on the same stretchy paper. These were found in the same HOU mixed brick 184xxxx,& 185xxxx. My other mixed brick HOU207xxxx had no inserts and rips and tears normally.

I will be bringing my test subject to the CNA tommorrow.

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2006, 01:23:46 am »

Here is a photo of part of the HOH insert note I have been testing. To the left is my first initial attempt at tearing this note. You can see how it has stretched, and not fully taken back its shape, though it has a bit. To the right is where I used force to tear. If you look closely at the tear, you will see a slight ripple in the paper where it was initially resisting my tear.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:46:05 am by BWJM »

JB-2007
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2006, 09:58:57 am »

Here is a photo of part of the HOH insert note I have been testing. To the left is my first initial attempt at tearing this note. You can see how it has stretched, and not fully taken back its shape, though it has a bit. To the right is where I used force to tear. If you look closely at the tear, you will see a slight ripple in the paper where it was initially resisting my tear.
That is how my HOW 0.52 note looked as well.
Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2006, 02:58:00 am »

I owned HOW0390840 and HOW0994674 which are nearby the so called " TEST NOTE" range. Perhabs it would be interesting to compare...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:01:07 am by Bitburger »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2006, 05:05:59 am »

I would just like to add that I have now seen notes from both of the ranges that X-Savior had, and [size=14]it is my opinion that neither are test notes[/size][/i][/b]. There may be some variation in the paper thickness, but the variations observed were within what I would think to be acceptable variance ranges.

While I remain open-minded to further testing, until I am convinced otherwise, I do not believe that these are test notes in any fashion. Any statements implying that I believe otherwise should be considered false and without my permission.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 05:09:24 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2006, 02:14:14 pm »

Thank You Brent!  ;)

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I guess this mean MORE TESTING!!!!  :D

Lets see....

Burning,Ripping,Streching,Stomping,Wearing,Toasting,Soaking,Weighing,Feeling,Rubbing,Smelling

::) What's next?

;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:15:08 pm by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
JB-2007
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2006, 02:23:27 pm »

I agree with BWJM, i have great doubts that these notes are test notes. Is there a difference within that HOW0.52-0.54 range? Yes i do think so but i dont think they will actually be worth anything special.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:47:35 pm by JB105 »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2006, 04:21:22 pm »

I guess I'm beginning to get a little uncomfortable with the way this HOW thing has panned out so far...

Outrageous hype was generated very quickly about a few notes, and names of influential people were used to help make it seem like there was really something strange going on. Prices quickly shot up to (as far as I heard) $250 per note :o and elaborate "no sale" agreements, or as I would call them, "monopoly" agreements, were set up with many of the buyers. Almost everyone so far has posted that while there may be some slight differences to the notes, they are similar, if not identical, to many other recent prefixes, and that such differences are very likely within the standard tolerance ranges.

Before I finish this post, I just want to specifically raise a concern I touched on in the last paragraph. Emails, PMs and posts promoting these HOW notes included such phrases as (example): "I have been having big talkes with many of the big players...Paul Wallis, Brent Mackie, Gary Fedora & Rob Graham (Editor of Charlton)." The placement of these names, while being factual, causes strong implications that we support the allegation that these are test notes. I, for one, DO NOT believe that these notes are anything special. Paul made some confusing remarks, Gary is firmly against them being test notes, and I cannot recall at this moment what Mr. Graham thinks, although I don't think he was impressed either. My big concern is that my name is being used to promote the extravagant sale of alleged test notes that are nothing special at all once seen in-person.

I do not want to see people paying $250 for these notes when they are worth only $7. You are paying for the hype, and nothing else. I'm sorry, X-Savior, but I think that this has gotten too out of hand. I've held off making such a strong statement for a while now, but having seen, felt, torn, spit on, burned, etc several of these notes myself, and from several ranges of HOW, HOU, HOT, HOJ, etc including both that you are selling, I cannot support any allegations that these notes are anything but regular notes.

Please remove my name from any promotional messages, unless specifically used to say that I believe that these notes are nothing special. I would recommend the same for the others, or at least that you ask for their permission before using their influential names to promote these notes.

For everyone else, I hope you didn't pay too much for your acre of swampland in Florida... :-/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:23:57 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length