Author
Topic: Shinplasters  (Read 6074 times)
Reginald
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:40:28 pm »

Just bought a consecutive pair of 1923 Canadian 25 cent banknotes signed by McCavour / Saunders, serial numbers 550157 and 58.   Can anyone comment on how scarce consecutive shinplasters are and what kind of additional value a pair like this might have.     Both notes are very clean with a high degree of crispness, some indication of light folding (maybe two each), good corners.  Both have good borders right and left and lower edge but both were cut with no top border.  I paid $80 total.    I appreciate you help.
Reginald
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:52:30 pm »

Okay, no response, so let me put it this way ... does anyone want to buy two consecutive shinplasters.  The dealer I bought them from in Toronto and I agreed they were both VF/EF.   Both quite identical in overall appearance / wear.  Only thing unusual about them (other than their consecutiveness) is the lack of a top border.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:32:48 pm »

does anyone want to buy two consecutive shinplasters.

I would suggest you put the offer to sell your notes in the Trading Post ...since that is where people look to buy things...good luck :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »

Only thing unusual about them (other than their consecutiveness) is the lack of a top border.

While some collectors may shy away from such notes, shinplasters and Dominion notes prior to 1923, are often poorly centred or poorly cut.  This is not an error (unless you see the border of another note appear on a generous border) and usually commands a lower price than a perfectly centred note with generous borders.

Premiums are seldom paid on consecutive notes unless they happen to be asterisks, 1935's, 37, DF's or some other kind of rare note in AU or better.

Reginald
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:35:48 am »

Thanks for your comments Fried and Walk.  I do realize that an offer to sell would have been more appropriate on the Trading Post, just got a little frustrated by the lack of response on my first enquiry - after 60 hits one would have expected some useful info to surface.  Felt I needed to push a little harder.   Not really that interested in selling them unless the price or trade could buy a 1937 Osbourne EF+ or a 1935 $5 or $20 EF+.

Walk, thanks for your comments too.  That's the feedback I was looking for.  You have given me a pretty clear idea of where I stand with my matching pair of shinplasters.  I will enjoy them in my collection as a relatively scarce item (in my opinion), but one with no premium attached and see what the future may bring.  Guess I'll have to save my pennies for the additional 37s and 35s.

Reginald
Reginald
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 01:44:13 pm »

Finally got a useful useful response from one of the Toronto area coin and banknote dealers that I contacted directly.  Thought I would share it with you. 

The broker replied, "consecutive pairs for the 1923 shinplasters are unusual but not unheard of.   I happen to have a pair in stock right now in fact.   In general, however, I would say that it is genuinely rare to see consecutive pairs of any ("any" was underlined) note dated prior to 1937 and even consecutives in the 1937 series are scarce."

He went on in a second email to describe a pair of 1923 McCavour / Saunders shinplasters that he has, both in AU condition, which he is prepared to sell for $375, $75 above the Charlton value for the total of the individual notes.

Hope this is useful info to one or two other collectors out there.

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:38:23 pm »

Well I guess if you ask enough people you can find the answer you are wanting to find.

I think two shinplasters are scarce but not as scarce as two higher denomination notes.

There are two sets on ebay now. Both in E.F. The first set has an opening bid of $102. and a buy it now of $118.00. ITEM # 230383562428

The second set of two notes are like yours that are miss-cut and they have an opening bid of $64.00 and a buy it now of $96.  ITEM #  230383558385

Hope this helps.

Gary_T
Reginald
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 04:50:01 pm »

Thanks Gary.  Good idea to check ebay ... the ultimate reality check when it comes to demand.  I will watch them to see how they end.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:00:30 pm »

I thought they would have sold already with buy it now considering they are below book value without a sequential premium.

Gary_T
Reginald
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:59:47 pm »

Based on what I have learned from the dealer in the past 48 hours I would tend to agree with you.. If I wasn't so focussed on 1935s and 1937 Osbournes I might grab them myself.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 01:53:24 pm »

This item mis-cut like yours has sold for $85 plus shipping.

Gary_T
Reginald
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 10:19:01 am »

Close thread please

Login with username, password and session length