Author
Topic: Note that smell bleach....  (Read 10460 times)
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:26:02 pm »

Hello,

If I got an 10$ Beattie-Coyne 1954 DF E/D for me it look like Gem but the note smell bleach, do the grading drop to Cunc ?

I didnt see any ripple around the edge so might be pressed too... ?

Have some difficulty grade 1954 notes...  :-\

Thank

8) Patrick 8)

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 03:03:25 pm »

Patrick:
I will grade it EF, simply because it is not original and being processed.  Smell bleach and no ripple truly tells us that the note has been processed and  if so how can we grade UNC and better?
Any comments from other members???
Yuman

Yuman
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 03:58:50 pm »

Patrick:
I will grade it EF, simply because it is not original and being processed.  Smell bleach and no ripple truly tells us that the note has been processed and  if so how can we grade UNC and better?
Any comments from other members???
Yuman

I don't think a processed note can get a better grade than a EF.

viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 12:22:13 pm »

Thank for the info... Now I'm getting a note of around 600$ to drop at 120$  :'(

We don't do everytime good deal on Ebay

8) Patrick 8)

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

I did the same thing a few years ago on ebay. I got a couple D.F. notes and they had a very strong smell to them, I ended up selling them at a huge loss.

Be careful that you don't keep them close to your other notes because the smell can get in them too.

Gary_T
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 01:45:10 pm »

I have received many bleached notes from ebay sellers...but not exclusive to e-bay.In my naivety...when I first joined this forum,I'd say after the first 6 months,I did a transaction with a forum member consisting of 6 notes.I sent payment off to Edmonton(where he resided at the time).As he was quite the regular poster,contributing consistently,and seemed to have some credibility,I felt the transaction would be a fairly safe bet.
What transpired,I received all the notes in exactly the condition stated,EXCEPT ONE,the most expensive note by catalogue,and it was bleached.
I informed the seller,who said I had waited too long(I had a trip to Mexico between receiving and examining the notes and had informed the seller of this fact!).
I told him that one of the notes was bleached,no doubt,and he stated perhaps I had bleached it too enhance its stature!!
I will not reveal his handle here but pm me for a name.And beware, even here.
One other point,I'm not bashing the forum members or the CPMF,I have had many successful and great transactions here.The moral of the story is know who your dealing with,and even then,that individual may have been taken by someone else,unknowingly.

Personally,I think bleached notes are worthless from a monetary point of view.
I keep the bleaqched note right here at home in my office drawer,I'd never put it near any others,especially in my sd box.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:49:02 pm by twoinvallarta »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 02:11:59 pm »

I'll buy your smelly notes at $1 over face... I've got a technique that so far is 100% reliable in getting out that chemical smell ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 02:15:44 pm »

I'll buy your smelly notes at $1 over face... I've got a technique that so far is 100% reliable in getting out that chemical smell

Oh sure,but not everyone like the smell of Aqua Velva Brent! And I doubt it'll put back the embossing although the stuff was popular in the day!

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »

It's actually much simpler than that, and the note never comes in contact with my secret substance, which just so happens to be very widely available, even at convenience stores, and is fairly cheap.

No, definitely won't affect the physical aspects of the note, but it does remove the scent.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 08:04:18 pm »

Dear everyone: it wasn't me!! :-)  The descriptions describes my situation perfectly however (used to live in Edm, frequent poster, etc...).

Just want to make sure that is clear.  Also- essentially the only notes I dealt while in Edm were new Journeys anyway lol.

This can be confirmed :-)

Have a great day everyone!!
H

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »

Darn Huds I thought my radars were a little smelly  :o  NOw I gotta figure out why!

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 09:24:31 pm »

Dear everyone: it wasn't me!! :-)  The descriptions describes my situation perfectly however (used to live in Edm, frequent poster, etc...).

Just want to make sure that is clear.  Also- essentially the only notes I dealt while in Edm were new Journeys anyway lol.

Have a great day everyone!!
H

Damn straight! Let me be 100% perfectly clear.This was not Hudson,nor was it intended to cause you any angst H.I should have thought of that before my post.
Just too clear the air a bit,this forum member has not appeared here for over a year or more...at least under his old handle.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 10:28:55 pm »

In order for this to be confirmed I think we need three confirmations from reliable sources and the read it in Gilles newsletter ;D
I confirm it was not you  ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 03:24:23 am »

I can personal guarantee it's not Hudson, he's a honest guy and grade accurately (from the past 2 1/2 years that I deal with him).

Hey Hud, finally I can see you photo even I can't meet you last summer in Vancouver.  Hope to meet you soon.

Yuman

Yuman
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 06:11:44 pm »

Oh my goodness  :)

TwoInV- no angst caused at all. In addition, I would like to say it feels so nice to have the support - beyond the "three needed for confirmation!"  LOL!!  I wasn't anticipating seeing responses like that -- thanks guys- you made my day. :-)

I mean it, I am greatful knowing you guys would go to bat for me like that. :-)
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:13:21 pm by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
gonkman
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 09:43:51 am »

So would you mind enlightning us on how to get rid of the smell?

If you don't want to tell everyone you can send me a PM.

I would like to know.  Not that I have any bleached notes.. cept the one from that E-Bay Presser/Bleacher  French whacko who is still selling notes again.

I would appreciate a PM with how to.. unless its a secret you plan to keep till you die. :)

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 01:13:55 pm »

Yes, it would be a great service to Forum members if details of the smell-removal process were to be posted.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 03:21:10 pm »

It's actually much simpler than that, and the note never comes in contact with my secret substance, which just so happens to be very widely available, even at convenience stores, and is fairly cheap.

No, definitely won't affect the physical aspects of the note, but it does remove the scent.

I'm thinking it's either baking soda or mothballs...but more likely baking soda since mothballs are pretty smelly.

nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:52 pm »

Gotta LOVE that "Febreze".......it removes all harmful odours ;D
moneycow
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 08:58:31 pm »

I'm thinking it's either baking soda or mothballs...but more likely baking soda since mothballs are pretty smelly.

[edit]Comments removed. This forum is rated E for everyone, so all wisecracks must be in good taste. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:32:28 pm by BWJM »
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 09:06:48 pm »

Quote "baking soda"

It let me recall someone teach me to use white vinegar + baking powder as one of the cleaning method at kitchen to kill the smell.

Brent, you better let us know what is your way ....

Yuman
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 10:55:52 pm »

Brent, you better let us know what is your way
LOL,Dont count on it

Login with username, password and session length