Author
Topic: Ebay - Paypal and CC Payments only as of late October  (Read 4319 times)
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:04 pm »

Hi everybody. I just found out that as of later this month Ebay will no longer accept cheques or money orders as valid payment methods  >:(

They will only allow Paypal and credit/debit card payments via a merchant's seller account, along with Propay and payment in cash for local pickup.

What does everyone think? What happens to the teenage (or younger) collector who can suddenly no longer purchase goods? I would imagine that they will have to use a parent/guardian's credit card.

Another blatant cash grab from Ebay? I know that they get all of the Paypal fees.

I would also like to hear from the sellers. Does this make you less likely to use Ebay to sell goods? I have heard some horror stories about purchasers doing unfair clawpacks via Paypal, and Paypal being less than helpful.

Here is a link to Ebay's page discussing this:
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/OtherFAQ/#3

Regards,

Fenian

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
rocken
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:29:04 am »

Yes ebay owns paypal and knows a good thing when they have it.Paypal is a  bonanza for them and so  GreedBay hopes to increase profits and  finance its global aquististions by squeezing  its loyal long time sellers.
I closed my ebay store last month  citing the change in payment and shipping policies which no longer made operating a store profitable .
Why would eBay change a business model that made it such a success? One of the reasons is  because governments have decided to tax sellers on their eBay sales and
ebay sees the smaller sellers as being a burden in terms of administration and overhead.Also ebay wants to be more like  Amazon , which  only accepts electronic payments . eBay is no longer the ebay we knew a few years ago  or even a year ago, as the bottom line has taken over .  eBay will see the error in their ways  when their share price  goes to less than $1. It is already half of what it was at the beginning of the year.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:36:01 am by rocken »

Missy
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 01:24:12 am »

As per Ebay's new rules ( effective Oct 20th) Sellers cannot state on their listings that  they accept other than Paypal or Pro Pay payment methods. BUT if the buyer asks the seller if they can pay by cheque, M.O.  EMT, or cash  the Seller has the option to accept or decline and it is all within the rules of Ebay.

Ebay cannot prohibit the Seller from accepting paper/electronic transfers payments... all they can do is prohibit the Seller from stating so on their listing.

I'm sure some sellers will come up with  some creative wording to convey the message to the bidders.
 Saw one Seller who stated " EBay will no longer allow me to state that  I  accept other payment methods"     wink, wink
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 11:44:32 am »

Is this eBay.com or eBay.ca? I dont recall ever getting notified of this

KC's Canadian Currency
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:51:27 pm »

So far, it's only eBay.com   

eBay Australia had this same rule implemented about 5 months ago.

Eventually eBay Canada will follow suit.   Just a matter of time. 

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:45:56 pm »

I never noticed the change in policy, Figures.

A bit O/T.

There is another option that came to my attention is a site called ebid.net, or more specifically http://ca.ebid.net/ . I don't think they are related to eBay buy they do use Paypal. They seemed to have a flat rate deal which seems to be better than eBay's strait-jacket approach. Any opinions?

Dei Gratia
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:48:02 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 11:49:16 pm »

Selling my comic collection on ebay over the last 5 years I hate this new rule
It`s just crap >:( >:(
Deehong
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:57:07 am »

As per Ebay's new rules ( effective Oct 20th) Sellers cannot state on their listings that  they accept other than Paypal or Pro Pay payment methods. BUT if the buyer asks the seller if they can pay by cheque, M.O.  EMT, or cash  the Seller has the option to accept or decline and it is all within the rules of Ebay.

Ebay cannot prohibit the Seller from accepting paper/electronic transfers payments... all they can do is prohibit the Seller from stating so on their listing.

I'm sure some sellers will come up with  some creative wording to convey the message to the bidders.
 Saw one Seller who stated " EBay will no longer allow me to state that  I  accept other payment methods"     wink, wink

Extremely creative...

Login with username, password and session length