Author
Topic: Bird Series  (Read 2983 times)
devin98
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »

based on everyones experience here I would like some help.  I am working on my Bird collection mostly replacement notes as I figure its a good time due to the low prices of the birds out there.  What I would like peoples opinion on is how much below catalog should these items be selling for in todays market?

Example: a 1988 $50 replacement EHX below 1.7M cat is $325 would $250 be a fair price for this note in today's market?

Thanks for the help!
-Devin
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »

Catalog values are estimates while market values are reality. If all these notes are selling at discount then your may not really be getting a great deal or "buying cheap" when paying trend prices. It is highly likely that the catalog value will start retreating for the next few years in order to represent how these notes are being traded. If you focus solely on value then your investment may not make any money for several years. Secondly ask yourself how many years do you think it will take once they start increasing in value again before you reach you target price.

Secondly there are ALOT of different types in this series alone and to figure out a fair discount that applies to all may be impossible as there might be the odd occurrence that paying book value or above might be a good deal.

While I have not answered your question I hope this will help.

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length