Author
Topic: Bank counting question  (Read 4419 times)
snoopsnoop
« on: October 23, 2009, 03:12:27 pm »

when a teller puts new money (or any money for that matter) through a counter, does it "devalue" the bills in terms of grading?

thank you.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 03:29:32 pm »

when a teller puts new money (or any money for that matter) through a counter, does it "devalue" the bills in terms of grading?

thank you.

The bottom line is the condtion of the note and of course it rarity ....I have seen some counters that can put flicks or creases on a note and other times the notes still come out looking good...In most cases I find when a teller counts the notes by hand is when more damage seems to occur... when they start to mishandle them ... bending or folding notes as they try to separate new bills.
I think the more processes the money goes through, the chances of damaging a note increases and thereby decreases its grade.
One thing should be noted that even brand new notes not handled by a teller can still be damaged during the shipping process.
Members can correct me if I am wrong, but I have yet to see a counting machine press a note so that is likely not a concern
RIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
gendis
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:26:22 am »

I believe it depends on the note (and the paper used for the note).  It was my experience that new notes of the Bird series (and prior series) obtained from ATMs very seldom showed any signs of "mishandling".  The $20.00  and $50.00 Journey notes that I now obtain from ABM's invariably show, to a greater or lesser degree, signs of the mechanical rollers that are used to spit out the notes.  I have little experience with the current Journey $5 notes as they are only available in my community from credit union ABMs nor $10.00 notes that are only available from banks that I don't deal with.  I would expect that the new coated version of the Journey $5 notes would exhibit less or no signs of the mechanical rollers as they appear to be coated with a substance that is harder (or has less flex) than the paper used to print them and would appreciate any further information available on this forum.

During the Bird series I spent a great deal of time withdrawing $5 notes from Royal Bank ABMs and managed to obtained a fairly long run of FNX replacements and a 9888880-9888889 run.  Regratably all of these notes are gone having been sold or traded with other collectors in Winnipeg.

I still have seller's remorse abot the 9888880-9888889 run but at that time my major interest was in 1954 modified $5 replacment notes.

Login with username, password and session length