Author
Topic: Wizard1's CPMF Monthly Contest  (Read 5747 times)
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« on: November 28, 2009, 08:55:53 pm »

Hi all, well I was just thinking that all of us have a common interest which is why we're all members of CPMF, but at the same time all of us come from different circumstances and as such use different avenues when it comes to building our personal collections (whether it be bricking, knowing someone at a bank, just paying attention to the bills in our wallets or ebay).

So my thought was let's have some fun together. Why not create a monthly (frequency may change) contest where a fun or educational skill testing question is asked, and whomever answers correctly or is the closest to answering correctly (determined on a per contest basis) gets a prize or gets to get something from me basically at face value, such as: a radar note; insert; old note; a special prefix etc, plus $1.25 just to cover mailing it and materials (will be mailed in a Lighthouse plastic large note holder)

This I hope gives everyone, from seasoned collectors to beginners, the opportunity to add something to their collection that they may not otherwise have while having a little fun in the process.

Since this is for fun the winner has the choice to accept the prize or to re-donate it back to be used as an additional prize in the next contest.

There are only two rules:
1 Entry per member (to be posted as a reply on this thread)
In the event of a tie the winner will be chosen at random from among the people that answered correctly

So here we go! The very first contest that I will be running. Up for grabs for contest number one is a circulated APM changeover note [APM 0038215] (sadly it has a 1inch tear in it BUT its still an APM note none the less. I hope there's someone that doesn't care too much about condition and just would like to own one of these hard to find prefixes)

The question for the first question is the following:

My very first coin I ever purchased from the RCM was a golden maple leaf when I went to the Mint on a school field trip. What was the year and the weight of that coin?

Entries will be accepted until Decmber 5th 2009 - 5pm EST.

WINNER : generalivi

Contest #2 --- *** FREEBIE ***

The winner of contest #2 receives a FREE (just pay for $1 shipping) UNC 1973 Crow-Bouey $1 ALV 2052560.

And the question is:

What was the Edition and Year of my first Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins?

Contest ends : December 19th 2009 5PM EST

GOOD LUCK!

Guesses Begin Here: http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=10298.msg47125#msg47125
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:34:48 pm by Wizard1 »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:59:44 pm »

Wizard1:

Sounds like a fun little contest! I wish you all the best with it.

All: Before anyone starts criticizing this, it's just for fun, there's very little at stake here, and it's ultimately just an elaborate trade. Take it for what it is: a simple effort to have a bit of fun while selling some notes.

I guess I can't participate because you already told me the answer to this the other day ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:24:41 am »

Sounds like a good idea Wizard.
I think it's a good way for some some of us to get rid of notes that we find that we don't normally keep and return to the bank anyways.
It can certainly be a great way ...especially for some of the newer collectors to pick up notes at face value that can be used as starters or fillers for their collections. Good luck

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:06:53 pm »

Ok, I'll give it a shot.. lets say 1999 and 1/10th of an oz...
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:36 pm »

I'll say 2001 and 1/10 of an oz.

Gary_T
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:21:04 pm »

1997 1/10th oz.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:26:10 pm »

I'm going to say 1989 and it was 31 grams because you were trying to impress a girl in your class  ;D

No hay banda  
MAS1
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 11:47:41 pm »

I'm guessing 1995 | 1 / 10th oz.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:24:03 pm »

Due to lack of interest for the 1st contest it will end Dec 5th 5pm EST.

Anyone that wants to guess do so before its too late! No one has submitted the correct answer yet!

1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:38:57 pm »

What if nobody get's the correct answer? Does the closest person win?

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 11:47:21 pm »

What if nobody get's the correct answer? Does the closest person win?

Sure why not.  :)

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »

The 1st Contest is now OVER.

I was very lucky to be a kid back then, hence not having lots of money, I bought it because I wanted to own gold and it was the cheapest one available!

It happened to be the SUPER RARE (Only 3540 issued) 1994 1/15oz $2 Coin! ;D

And the Winner is : generalivi he was the closest with his guess of "1995 | 1 / 10th oz."

Congrats

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

START OF CONTEST #2

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:25:21 pm by Wizard1 »

kforse
  • CPMS Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 06:15:57 am »

For question number two.

I would say Edition Number 32 in 1993.

Thanks

Life is to short not to have fun
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »

What was the Edition and Year of my first Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins?

Contest ends : December 19th 2009 5PM EST

So who won???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length