Author
Topic: Canadian $2 - Miscut $2 Bill?????  (Read 4112 times)
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »

Item number 200423641473 ( yaknowwhere)

EBA 866XXXX (which is all that i was given with this message (I didn't put that up as I don't want anyone claiming to Own my bill by saying the ## is stolen.)

What am i missing here?  ??? $2,000 for what?

Thanks for your help

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:24:56 pm »

It does appear to be cut slightly on an angle. Look at the top edge for some intaglio printing that should normally be on the bottom of the note.

That said, isn't EBA one of the prefixes available from uncut sheets? Maybe it's a bit too early for that, I don't have my catalogue handy to check.

Either way, $2,000 is way too much for this note even in G.Unc.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:31:15 pm »

Yes it is from a prefix used for sheets but i wasn't sure if some of the sheets would have also been issued as regular notes?

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:01 pm »

Of course... I would expect that millions of the notes (ie: the vast majority) were issued in bricks.

But the fact that some were issued as sheets introduces the possibility that fabricated errors can exist. The fact that some actually do exist merely confirms this and thus casts strong suspicion on any alleged miscut error notes from prefixes that were issued as sheets.

Similarly with "missing OSD" error notes. Sure, there are likely a bunch of legitimate errors of this type but it is known that a common household cleaner can remove these OSDs (and even the gold leaves of the 2001/2002 Journey notes) and not leave a trace making the fabricated "errors" indistinguishable from the legitimate ones.

Any error that can easily be replicated by the general public with no means of authenticating it should never be given any value as this merely perpetuates and even encourages the fabrication of these errors. It creates a fraudster's market and that is not healthy by any definition.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:41:00 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:49:18 pm »

Good to know, thx BWJM  ;)

Login with username, password and session length