Author
Topic: Love doing Bricks :(  (Read 5398 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:33:38 pm »

TEN bricks....   0.1 M range - 0.3 Range

ERH.  Nothing.

APY 8691xxx  73 62

Total cost of bricks alone:  $150.

Total time used:  Est 2 hours.

The other day....   $99 fee in bricks and partial bricks (upper denom).

That's $249 in two days! 
ZERO inserts!

polarbear I now hear what youa re saying regarding inserts being hard to come by.
:(

I think I just needed to post this to burn some steam off my system.   Ahh not really mad, it is just so frustrating not getting anything interesting.  Bricks have been reported to Gilles and his appointed people.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:40:26 pm »

The sentiment is not exclusive to brick searchers.  I have not found a single interesting note for the entire month of December after what was a comparatively bountiful November.  While searching circulated notes does not have the up-front costs associated with bricking, I still have to pay for the fuel to get around.  It's all relative.

No hay banda  
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »

Frustration is all around. Costs are everywhere. If you want a comparison, I've spent the last five months going through notes, personally recording over 29,000 individual serial numbers and PNs representing well over half a million dollars in face value. I've spent countless hours in banks and at home doing this. I've wasted untold tanks of fuel driving around town in this quest. What do I have to show for it? Not much. Tons of people call me crazy and look at me weird.

Then there's all the thankless work I do here on the forums, for the CPMS, for the WCS, and everything else.

So why do I do it? Because it's my hobby. Because I enjoy it. Because it's for the greater good. (I've convinced myself of the last part... maybe that's just the crazy talking).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:01:44 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
ikandiggit
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:43:30 pm »

I haven't ventured into brick searching yet.... haven't really had the time lately (I just bought over 24,000 Canadian pennies from a retiring collector to hunt through).

I still search the proceeds from the video lottery machines at work each morning and I'm working with some of the smaller stores in the area to sell me their "older" and unusual bills.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 03:15:36 pm »

Those reasons exactly.  All my tellers think I am a bit weird too.  But they know the cause, and they actually think it is realy cool.

Sigh.  lol I love it. :-)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:32:28 pm »

Tons of people call me crazy and look at me weird.

I know, but there's no sign at the petting zoo saying you can't climb over the fence  ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:44:25 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »

I know, but there's no sign at petting zoo saying you can't climb over the fence  ::)

I'm sure that the Calgary zoo's tiger exhibit had a sign saying you can't climb over the fence,  I know they'd say you're nuts.

But on second thought I might consider it if someone placed a Gem BC12 in the cage  :-\

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length