Author
Topic: Why do all TPG companies not use the term original?  (Read 4477 times)
Tim
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:44:33 am »

I have been wondering this for some time now.  I am not familiar with all TPG parties out there but from what I can tell it seems only BCS will state whether they believe the note is original or not.  Why is this, and why do all parties not state this on their holders?  For me, I find it very useful to know whether the note is original or not which may be why I tend to only buy BCS original graded notes.

Thoughts please.

Tim
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:15:27 pm »

From what I understand PMG states on the back of their holders exceptional paper quality for original notes and if it is blank it means that it has been washed or pressed or whatever. Seems kind of deceiving to me.

Gary_T
abyss
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:19:09 pm »

I agree that by not having anything on the holder an un educated buyer would think nothing of it when either original or EPQ is not on the holder. I have seen many times when a TPG note was not an EPQ or original on Ebay and it usually was a newbie that purchased it for more than it would likely fetch if it was original.
Many people don't realize that if this designation is not there ....there likely is a problem with he note.
ABYSS
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:46:54 pm »

Whoa there, hold your horses gentlemen! The presence of the acronym "PPQ" (Premium Paper Quality) or "EPQ" (Exceptional Paper Quality) on a PCGS/PMG-graded note absolutely does NOT imply that a note is original and has never been washed or pressed. Just read my earlier post for the juicy details ....

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=9632.msg44171#msg44171

And what a tremendous difference there is between the two assigned grades, i.e., "EF-45" vs. "AU-58 PPQ" !! Caveat Emptor in spades!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:52:00 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length