Author
Topic: 1974 1000 Yugoslavian Dinara Note - Is this valid anywhere?  (Read 6537 times)
delacroix
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:50:19 am »

just looking for a little bit of help, i am curious if a 1974 1000 note is worth anything at all anymore. i am not too familiar with the economic history specifically of this region, i only know that with the consistent troubles and leadership/philosophy changes that this area underwent, they must have gone through numerous money issues as well.

a little bit of research showed they basically re-did their money several times (to put it very simply), but are the notes of this time period worth anything internationally, will any banks buy these bills back? i tried a couple currency exchange sites, and on Oanda.com for example, it says 1000 = 14.74 cdn.. then i check ebay and a guy has a 150,000 dinara go unsold. i checked around, and these were 1988 bills, i go to Oanda.com and see that in their converter, 150,000 yugoslavian dinar = roughly 2,200 cdn$....

i'm confused :( ??? :-X

thank you for shedding any light on this ...

also, i am very new to all of this, so if it is a very easy answer, forgive me  :o
AZ
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:26:53 am »

Yugoslavia went through several periods of high inflation and hyperinflation in 1970-1990s. The dinar was redenominated several times. Considering that, the banks will not buy the obsolete notes back. The note you have may be worth a couple of dollars in UNC condition. There is a set of three 1000 dinar notes being sold on eBay, with the starting price of under $1. Search for "1000 dinar yugoslavia 1978".

Login with username, password and session length