Author
Topic: Bank of Canada to Issue New Bank Notes  (Read 39950 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

But I think a Fiver with a Big Beaver on it would Rock!

Yeah, that would be really kewl.  Take the design of the 5-cent piece and make it into a big black-and-white vignette and put it at the front centre of the $5 note.  Together with a strong blue colour around it, I think the design would look great.

Or maybe it's time to bring back the steer head.  Anyone who owns or has seen the Merchants Bank of Canada 1917 $20 note knows what I'm talking about.  Put that vignette on the new $20 note and add the inscription "Will pay to the bearer on demand, NO BULL".  :)

Or Even Better... Put a Big Polar Bear Mauling Brian Mulroney on the $10! Lol..

Uh oh, here we go down the slippery slope...  >:(

No hay banda  
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »

But I think a Fiver with a Big Beaver on it would Rock!

Or Even Better... Put a Big Polar Bear Mauling Brian Mulroney on the $10! Lol..

Better Mulroney than Trudeau - with a puss like Trudeau's on the $10, it might get confused with the Big Beaver on the $5. Besides, pairing up Mulroney with a polar bear would be a fairer match. It's not like Mulroney can't afford to take one on the chin!  ::)

Let's just hope that Prince Charles doesn't succeed Elizabeth II to the throne. It's bad enough we would have to make the $10 note wider to accommodate Mulroney's chin; we wouldn't have to make the $20 note longer to accommodate Prince Charles's ears.  :-X

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2010, 04:42:25 pm »

Since were all having a little fun with this how about this one...

In the past 2 years with the collapse of so many banks world wide and with our Canadian politicians bragging and gloating over how well we run our banks ( and giving advise to other countries) that we put our top 5 Banks on our currency!!!

$5    BMO
$10  RBC
$20  TD
$50  CIBC
$100 Scotia

Funny how it works out! lol

***This is only to have fun***  :P

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
hanmer
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »

I like the beaver on the fin.
Scoring which goal? Lemieux from Gretzky in 86, Henderson 72, Sid 2008? How about all of them?
Henderson $10
Lemieux/Gretzky $20
Iginla/Sid $50
Clara Hughes $100 (Not hockey, but in my mind canada's greatest athlete)

:)

:)
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 07:32:33 pm »

Since were all having a little fun with this how about this one...

In the past 2 years with the collapse of so many banks world wide and with our Canadian politicians bragging and gloating over how well we run our banks ( and giving advise to other countries) that we put our top 5 Banks on our currency!!!

$5    BMO
$10  RBC
$20  TD
$50  CIBC
$100 Scotia

Funny how it works out! lol

***This is only to have fun***  :P

MG

BMO only gets the piddly $5 note?!! I work for BMO; it was Canada's first bank and even issued the Province of Canada's notes in 1866 - let's give BMO the $100 note! And no, I'm not trying to get myself a higher bonus for this year-end... :-X

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 08:05:02 pm »

lol it's only beacause BMO's color is blue  ;)

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 11:37:35 pm »

At first I was going to denounce the idea of putting Scotiabank on the $100 bill, but considering the colour of that note is brown...
 8)

No hay banda  
gonkman
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2010, 11:45:31 am »

Are you kidding me??

Then the banks would charge you a 5% Fee to withdraw money.   Trademark Fee for each note produced passed down to the customers... lol.

Besides depending on which bank you deal with you would only be able to get that Denomination from that Bank.    Like CIBC would hand out BMO Notes..lol.

Well they would I guess but expect a Service Fee. :)

Imagine going to Scotia to Withdraw $20.  Sorry sir.. we only hand out $100 notes.. :)

You know they would...
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:39 am »

MG - I can't believe you'd want to play into the hands of our power-brokers!

I'd rather have our favourite consumptions:

Beer - $5.00
TH coffee - $10
Donuts - $20
Maple Syrup - $50
Poutine - $100
(And since they're polymer there'd be no problem over salivating on them!)

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »

Beer - $5.00
TH coffee - $10
Donuts - $20
Maple Syrup - $50
Poutine - $100

What?  No butter tarts?  Put the TH coffee and the donuts together on the $10 and have a nice thick butter tart on the $20.  And a salivating QEII looking right at it. 

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 02:53:36 pm »

Maybe the BOC's new issue should be the "Health & Education" series:

$5 - symptoms of stroke and/or heart attack and what to do
$10 - the four food groups and how many servings you need of each
$20 - how to handle stress
$50 - how to do a budget
$100 - the cost of using credit products

Since people use money practically every day (granted - debit and credit cards are used far more often), why not have practical information on it?

Obviously the information would have to be very brief, since it would need to appear in English and French, but there could be a website included to find more info  :)

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2010, 07:05:20 pm »

$5 - symptoms of stroke and/or heart attack and what to do
$10 - the four food groups and how many servings you need of each
$20 - how to handle stress
$50 - how to do a budget
$100 - the cost of using credit products

The series would not be complete if you did not include:

$300 - recognizing counterfeit currency
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:12:29 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:18 pm »

The series would not be complete if you did not include:

$300 - recognizing counterfeit currency

I think it should also include the $500 and $1,000.

Sammi
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2010, 10:47:47 am »

I am interested on everyone's  thoughts  about the new plastic money. Will it affect the paper money value as this brings  to an end this area of our hobby. Any new money will be plastic..Also when is this plastic money coming into circulation... Thanks...Sammi
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:50:00 am by Sammi »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2010, 01:02:19 pm »

I am interested on everyone's  thoughts  about the new plastic money. Will it affect the paper money value as this brings  to an end this area of our hobby. Any new money will be plastic..Also when is this plastic money coming into circulation... Thanks...Sammi

I have heard the new polymer notes are suppose to appear in late 2011 or early 2012. It will be interesting to see how successful their introduction will be if production and quality control is a factor or not...Maybe we can pick up some nice errors before they totally iron out all the bugs.... :)
I assume that the paper notes will still be around for some time even when the polymer notes are being circulated. I don't think the BOC will start burning perfectly good notes that have already been printed, but I could be wrong...Who knows what is going to be destroyed when the time comes.
As for value of paper money in our collections, I don't see it being a concern since people will still be collecting paper long after it is gone...Maybe it will even get things moving again where collectors want to get the notes they don't have before they become extinct from circulation and are harder to come by....Only an opinion..

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length