Author
Topic: CPMF - Wooden Tokens  (Read 7250 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »

We have been feverishly working on designing a wooden token for CPMF members. 

One proposed design for the common design is shown below but we need to check with the company if this design will work well. Other suggestions are welcome.

You will be able to personalize the design for the other side.

We need a minimum of 7 people in for the bulk purchase. The estimated cost will be between 80 cents and $1 each for an order of 100 tokens. 

Please let me know by PM or e-mail (asterisk.zz@zigler.ca) if you are interested. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:18:05 am by BWJM »

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:00:46 am »

Eyevet

In regards to these tokens are you saying that all 7 people have to order about 100 each or all together we need to order 100 tokens?  They will do the printing on the reverse side for each member that wants some? How much text or info is capable of being printed on the other side? I'm very interested in some and would like to know more info on them. Please email me or place more details on here about them!!  It is a great idea! :D

Jeff/Bugsy

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:16:03 am »

I can answer that...

The minimum seven interested members would have to order a minimum of 100 pieces each for a total minimum order of 700 pieces.

One side will feature a common CPMF design. All pieces from all members participating in this order will feature this design on one side (let's call this the reverse). The other side (the obverse) is a blank slate for each participating member to choose their own design. You can choose from a variety of pre-made dies, or you can design your own obverse.

As seen in the proposed CPMF reverse above, the tokens themselves are 1-3/4" in diameter. The area available for the design is 1-1/2" in diameter. Your entire design must be contained within this boundary.

As would be the case if you were to design a coin, work with a sheet of paper (or space on your computer screen) about the size of a dessert plate (about 8" in diameter) and sketch out your ideas. Once you've got a design you like, reduce it down to 1-1/2" in size and see how it looks. You will want to stick to simple designs because if two lines are too close together, you might run into a problem where some of the coloured foil just fills in the gap. (I had this happen on a moderate number of my tokens on letters like a capital A... the core in the top part occasionally got filled in because the space was too small).

Feel free to post your designs-in-progress to this thread so you can solicit feedback or get ideas from other members.

We're also looking for suggestions for the reverse image. The one above is admittedly a little too complex and probably won't turn out so well. The fine detail will probably be a little too much and it will all run together.

Also just a note... the image is applied to the token with a hot magnesium die and coloured metallic foil. No ink is used. The foil is effectively melted into the wood without any burning or other undesirable blemishes. The finished products are really attractive. You might also get the attention of the Canadian Association of Wooden Money Collectors (CAWMC). They're a fun group of folks who just go nuts over these little pieces of wood!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 02:39:01 am »

Here is something a little less busy?  I thought that the less is sometimes almost better, and when it has to be shrunk down so small it can make a mess of lots of close lines and such.  This is just and idea, what are some comments on something along this line for the one side?? Please bare with me it is a little sloppy but it can be cleaned up, it's just a rough idea??

Jeff/Bugsy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:42:10 am by bugsy »

DREDGE
  • Bald is beautiful man:)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 02:33:21 pm »

I guess my question would be why you don't make it in wood money form, as like a bill?
I own several already, a lot done for X-mas but several other for commemorative purposes.
Would that not be more appropriate to these form.

Andrej

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »

I have seen the wood type bills you are referring to,  I'm not sure but I bet they are way more money to have made?  I think that either would be a great idea to get made, It is good advertising and I think it would be great to trade them with other collectors that way you will always have there address or email or even maybe there forum name and you could maybe relate a certain collector with specific items they are collecting..  You can count me in as a member that will commit to ordering some of these tokens!

Has anyone looked into the price on the bill type tokens in comparison to the coin type?

Jeff/Bugsy

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:00:53 am »

Forum Members:

If you are a forum member please let me know that you are willing to commit to helping fulfil an order with the understanding it is going to be a reasonable price of course.

So please email me at bugsy11@sasktel.net and let me know a yes or a maybe and I will keep track of how many we have by adding your name to the below list.  It will help eyevet and others working on this subject, knowing who will be interested.  It will be the first step in getting this project rolling! Hope to see that we do have enough involvement to make it viable!  :)

Forum Members Committed:                 Forum Members Maybe:       

1: Jeff/Bugsy                                            1: BWJM
                     2: eyevet                                                 2:
                     3:                                                           3:
                     4:                                                           4:
                     5:                                                           5:
                     6:                                                           6:
                     7:                                                           7:
                     8:                                                           8:
                     9:                                                           9:
                    10:                                                         10:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:22:09 pm by BWJM »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 12:14:24 am »

As for myself, I'm down as a "maybe" because I just had a 100-piece order made, and I still have lots left.

Here are a couple of designs that I've created based on eyevet and bugsy's concept drawings. Both images are approved by the members.

Once you have had your personal die produced, you can reuse it again in the future without having to pay to have it made. So say a year down the road if we want to create a special common side for the 2010 Saint John NB RCNA convention, you would only have to pay for the woods themselves. I figure this would save you about $40. You can also reuse your personal die with any of the other dies made by this company. They have tons of "stock" dies for Christmas and other events.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:29:09 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:23:25 am »

Forum Members Get Your Wooden Tokens!!

I'm surprised that we have not had more interest in these.  I think that they are just an excellent idea, and just wait until we get ours then everyone is going to want them..lol.lol

What is the next step for this process Brent? Are you handling the money and payments for this or eyevet are you willing to do that and place the orders and so on.  I'm so far away from you guys down there that I thought it would be to every ones best interest to have our main man in control in your part of the world!!

Who or what company is doing this? Has anyone seen any firm numbers and for what quantity? I would like to proceed with this project to the next level as soon as possible!!

So please let me know what your guys thoughts are, (Brent) (eyevet)

Thanks for now:  Jeff

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:10:19 pm »

I spoke with eyevet on this issue. As there is not currently sufficient interest to pursue this project, we will not be doing so at this time.

The idea may be rekindled later on.

Thank you Jeff for your interest. If you wish to go ahead independently with your own token, please contact me and I can get you in touch with the company.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 11:37:18 pm »

As I have just depleted my supply of 2009 personal woods, I'm trying to figure out what to use on the "common" side of my 2010 woods.

If there is any interest out there among forum members to issue some woods, please post.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length