Poll

If the SNDB had a lightweight, easy way for me to enter serial numbers from my smartphone, I would use it...

Never
Sometimes
Often
Always
Author
Topic: SNDB Mobile Interface  (Read 5878 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:06:45 pm »

I just want to put a few feelers out there to see what you guys think.

The Serial Number Database is well used by lots of CPMF members with well over $2 million in face value entered into the DB. I've tried accessing the SNDB from my BlackBerry smartphone a few times over the last few months and I've found it rather cumbersome, not well formatted, etc.

My initial thoughts are to create a second version of the site that is designed specifically for smartphones so that CPMF members can enter serial numbers or check highs and lows while they're on the go and not at their desktop computer.

The mobile version of the SNDB would be simplified considerably (the following are all just thoughts and nothing is set in stone):
- Enter one note at a time
- View highs and lows for one prefix at a time
- Limited or no other reports or features available
- Almost entirely text-based for fast downloads and minimal bandwidth consumption

So this poll is to see what sort of value our members would get out of this feature (as it represents a significant time investment to create).

If anyone has any specific thoughts or suggestions around this concept, I encourage you to reply here.

While this poll is certainly non-binding, I will definitely take the results into consideration.

Thanks in advance for participating in this quick poll and of course for your ongoing participation in the Serial Number Database.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jtfrogger
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:34:27 pm »

Well, if you were expecting me to still enter the front and back plate numbers, I probably wouldn't use it.  If I am on the go, I probably wouldn't have my loupe with me nor would I really want to spend too much time trying to read it without my loupe.

BTW, I didn't vote, because my answer is not likely.  If you weren't expecting the plate numbers, I probably would use it.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »

Interesting comments. I appreciate your feedback.

As position numbers are important to many ongoing research projects, I would prefer to keep them as required. Considering that this is a mobile-only interface and is limited to entering only one note at a time, it might be a trade-off I can live with. Your comments will certainly be taken into consideration.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:23:23 pm »

My opinion is, if you're going to go through with a simplified site it should have the following features:

- Enter one note at a time
- View highs and lows for one prefix at a time
- No other reports or features available
- Almost entirely text-based for fast downloads and minimal bandwidth consumption

In terms of viewing the highs and lows of prefixes, that feature doesn't really need to be there. If someone is entering a note on the fly, I don't think they would really care too much at that very moment what the high/low range is for the note they are entering.  Also in terms of someone that is collecting serials, they would really only care about low numbers and low numbers are a no-brainer. It is what it is.

That being said of course when people enter their notes through the stripped down version, they should expect to get credit on the full version should their submission be a new high/low.

I personally use my Nokia E71 Browser and I have no problems viewing the current SNDB website. I have also accessed it using my Motorola A1200 Browser and also haven't had any problems.

My two cents.
Matt

AZ
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:48:22 am »

I do not have a problem with using the current version of SNDB on mobile devices. My only comment is that the lists of highs/lows cannot be scrolled in Safari on my IPod Touch (I assume it's the same on IPhone). The High/Low HTML table could be moved out of the scrollable div and into the body of the page. The fewer scrollbars, the better...
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:06:24 pm »

Brent,

I think you have a great idea there, however I think many would prefer the privacy and convenience of being able to enter bills into the database at their leisure at home. 

I do however think however having access to the high/low list while on the go is a plus as so many of the bills in circulation aren't worth hanging on to but would get passed over if it were not for your lists.  As you are requesting scans now, one would have to hang on to the note until one had access to their computer and scanner to do so anyway.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:15:49 pm »

Regarding privacy, sure, I doubt many people will want to pull out their cell phone at the grocery checkout, punch in a pile of notes and let everyone in line see how much cash they have. However, the proposed mobile interface is not intended nor would it be designed to accommodate entering multiple notes at a time. A common use case that I can think of would be getting a new note in change, then entering it when you get back to the car or something.

Regarding images of notes for new highs and lows, many phones these days have cameras. An image from a camera phone would certainly be acceptable so long as it is reasonably clear.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:05:09 pm »

I was hoping for some more responses than just the 7 votes that have been cast so far. If you have not yet voted, please do. If you have any questions, comments or anything else you want to share in regards to this topic, please reply. Thanks

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:26:52 pm »

Now I'm required by my job to have a Blackberry myself,  I think it's a nice idea so I'd have something to do on my long lunch breaks , otherwise I may have to splurge on a little notebook computer to do my entries while I'm in downtown Vancouver.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 11:14:01 pm »

OK, I've got a basic mobile interface up and running for the SNDB. It's nothing fancy, but that's deliberate to save on bandwidth, load time, complexity, etc. All you can do right now is: add one note at a time, or view the H/Ls for one prefix at a time.

I'm limited in the testing I can do for this, so if you're using the site and something doesn't look right, please attempt to capture an image of what you're seeing (screenshot or photo) and send it to me along with the name and model of the device you're using.

To use the mobile interface, simply browse to www.cdnpapermoney.com/sndb from your mobile device.

Cheers

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length