Author
Topic: Homemade Error From Uncut Sheet?  (Read 3703 times)
ikandiggit
« on: May 16, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »

I need a confirmation that this isn't an authentic error note:

{http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/487/bfk9338133.jpg:http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/487/bfk9338133.th.jpg}

[edit]Removed link to eBay and replaced it with an image of the note in question. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:37:47 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:40:20 pm »

While I cannot confirm that it was hand-made, there is reasonable doubt that it is authentic. In particular, this prefix (BFK) was widely available in uncut sheets meaning that anyone with a pair of scissors or even a ruler could make some kind of cutting "error".

The auction on eBay that you originally referred to has been updated to include the following:
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE BIDDING...

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE RECEIVED INFORMATION REGARDING THIS NOTE.IT APPEARS THIS PREFIX WAS RELEASED AS SHEETS OF NOTES RATHER THAN INDIVIDUALLY.IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS IS NOT A PRODUCTION ERROR OCCURING DURING PRINTING BUT RATHER IT IS POSSIBLY MAN MADE.MANY THANKS TO THE CANADIAN COLLECTORS WHO HAVE POINTED THIS OUT.I AM UNABLE TO ALTER THE ABOVE TITLE OR DESCRIPTION DUE TO THERE BEING A BID ON THE ITEM.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
ikandiggit
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »

Thanks, Brent. When I saw this,  I checked some posts here that discussed sheets that were id'd with that prefix. I guess someone else did the same thing and notified the seller.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »

Yeah I had messaged the seller when he just posted it and he added a note at the bottom stating that it is highly likely to be a fabricated error.

Login with username, password and session length