Author
Topic: Are there any reliable 3rd party companies that will insure postal packages?  (Read 3220 times)
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Question....

Canadapost insurance only goes upto $1000. Can anyone recommend a third party insurer that can insure a package (currency) for values above $1000?

Thanks.

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company

Canada Post will insure up to $5000 with xpresspost.

"*Coverage Details: Up to $100.00 included. Maximum $5,000.00 @ $1.15 per $100.00"

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator

oh awesome.... thanks!

anyone got any alternatives that might be cheaper? (just exploring all possibilities)

Seth
  • Very Senior Member

I'm not sure, but it should be noted that Canada Post's coverage limit drops to $500 on shipments containing coins, and it drops to zero on shipments containing bank notes.   Never pay extra to have the limit increased to $5,000 if you are shipping bank notes - you are paying for nothing!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:55:40 am by Seth »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator

I'm not sure, but it should be noted that Canada Post's coverage limit drops to $500 on shipments containing coins, and it drops to zero on shipments containing bank notes.   Never pay extra to have the limit increased to $5,000 if you are shipping bank notes - you are paying for nothing!

Thanks for the heads on up that! I had a feeling this was the case (as it is with UPS and FedEx), which is why I am requesting third-party insurers.

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency

As far as Canada post is concerned I always used to indicated the content of the package as historical documents which they do insure. If the package goes missing how would they prove me wrong?

Now I use a third party insurance, its a flat rate per year.

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length