Author
Topic: Ultraviolet light testing  (Read 3859 times)
rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »

I have been looking at my notes using a counterfeit detector machine called the "The Money Lab" http://www.officezone.com/htc-90.htm  and I found a couple of things that I am not sure have been found before.  Mostly I found the regular pink and yellow Bank of Canada writing and security threads and the odd time you find some blue dots.   On one $20 note though I found a bunch of smears and finger prints in florescent blue.  On another $20 note I found some secret writing or code on one of the notes.  It is well hidden unless you know where to look.  The note I found it on is not a replacement so I am not sure of the reason and I did not find it on any of the other notes.  I am guessing that this may be some form of test note???   I do not want to give more details until I show it to another member of this group that I will see it on Monday.  For those interested I will be bringing it to the Toronto Coin club meeting next Monday night.

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »

Do you look only on UNC notes or you look on circulated notes as well?  Which color are the fluorescent markings?

It's important since on circulated notes, the spoiling can be fluorescent, depending of what kind of spoiling is on the note.  Fingerprints can be visible on UV light (if some one has touched something fluorescent just before). The markings are intriguing but unless you post a picture of the note under UV lignt, it's very difficult to tell for sure...

rarecoins2001
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:05:37 pm »

I was looking at all my notes but the one with the fingerprints is UNC.  The one with the special markings has been circulated.  I am not sure if these will show up with a photo so I will wait for a second opinion on Monday.

rarecoins2001
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »

False alarm it is just some kind of lamination edge that I was seeing.  I had Brent confirm this at the show.    The fingerprints still exist but then I forgot to bring that note to show him.

Login with username, password and session length