Author
Topic: 1954 $50 cutting error  (Read 3738 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:12:17 pm »

I can't remember the last time I saw any kind of error on a high denomination 1954 series note.  So when the note shown below recently sold online for less than $70, I was a little bit surprised.  Anyone else surprised it didn't go for more?  I know it's a minor error, but still, it's an error.

{http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1095/error50.jpg:http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1095/error50.th.jpg}

[edit]Image moved to ImageShack - mmars[/edit]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:07:03 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »

To me it looks like a badly centered note but now you have me think that maybe i should have kept my recent AAA bricks that from the back side had very little top border  :o

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:55:28 pm »

To me it looks like a badly centered note but now you have me think that maybe i should have kept my recent AAA bricks that from the back side had very little top border  :o

MG

Umm, there's a difference between being badly centered and being miscut.  The $50 note shown has a sliver of design from the note that was printed to the left.  The slanted edges of the note are probably due to the same bad cutting job.  To be perfectly honest, I laughed out loud after reading your reply because it sounds like you are saying this note is not worth a premium based on its poor centering, as though notes with cutting errors have to be well centered to be worth anything.  In that case, this $50 note (and your AAA $5 notes) would need to show pieces of other notes on all 4 sides!  8)

No hay banda  
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:33:05 pm »

just saying that it's not really that impressive of an error note and the selling price seems to confirm this.  ;)

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition

Login with username, password and session length