Author
Topic: Is this an error  (Read 6014 times)
SaintMichael999
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:33:14 am »

Still learning things, just wondering if this would be considered an error with the '20' transferred to the back of this one.

SaintMichael999
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:30:04 am »

{http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7622/201006140018a.jpg:http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7622/201006140018a.th.jpg}

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 05:04:40 am »

Hi! It is a very light offset printing. Is the 20 the only thing thats showing? or are there ink transfers elsewhere on the note?

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 11:36:08 am »

Yes, from the photo shown, this would be a very minor error

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
SaintMichael999
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 11:40:48 am »

Only the '20' is showing.

Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:19:15 am »

I’ve seen lots of twenties with a light “20” transferred to the back and the position is almost always on the opposite side of the twenty on the front (almost like your seeing through the paper). This is only the third one I’ve seen where the transfer is shifted to another position. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:17:38 am by Hunter »

Is it just a harmless prefix-kix or do I live for that next prefix-fix?
Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:51:38 am »

Because it’s so faint it’s hard to tell but I thing the green marks running along the side of the shifting windowed thread, is a very light transfer of the words “BANK OF CANADA BANQUE DU CANADA”.  If it is the transfer of the “20” was put there by one note of the next sheet and the backward words put there from another adjacent note that was part of the same sheet.

Is it just a harmless prefix-kix or do I live for that next prefix-fix?
SaintMichael999
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 01:56:33 am »

Thanks for the feedback, its very interesting to learn about these things.  I've been a coin collector for a number of years, but I think you guys have converted me!

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 06:59:58 pm »

I suspect an error like this could be manufactured.  It depends on how unstable the inks are.  It may be possible to heat up a note with an iron, then press it against another note and have some of the ink transfer.  Anyone tried it?
M

No hay banda  
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:01:30 am »

I suspect an error like this could be manufactured.  It depends on how unstable the inks are.  It may be possible to heat up a note with an iron, then press it against another note and have some of the ink transfer.  Anyone tried it?
M

No I haven't tried this.

However I have seen this 'error' numerous times before. But with most errors, they are only valuable if they are very noticeable errors. Errors where you actually have to really LOOK to find out whats wrong will rarely fetch a large premium.

But hey..... if you like it and think its neat, then keep it =)

Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:12 am »

M

Not with an Iron but i did read that their are special inks that once heated up to certain temperatures will turn back to it's liquid form so i threw a bunch of notes in the over to test it out.... but nothing.  :(

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:11:02 pm »

Not with an Iron but i did read that their are special inks that once heated up to certain temperatures will turn back to it's liquid form so i threw a bunch of notes in the over to test it out.... but nothing.  :(

Yeah, I read about it too  ;D

Seriously, though, heat alone is probably not going to have the desired effect.  The hot steam of an iron could provide the moisture needed to cause the ink to swell and become adhesive.  Or so I've heard  ::)

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length